General The fun of driving Panda twinair turbo

Currently reading:
General The fun of driving Panda twinair turbo

kronsell

I’m getting tired of reading all these negative posts about bad mpg from twin air engines that have not yet been run in, I would like to focus on the pure fun this little engine can provide instead of bad fuel consumption.

Yesterday I was climbing a pretty big hill in the Panda and was able to overtake all the other cars on the way to the top, and keep up with pretty fast cars on the freeway. In how many small cars is this possible? There’s so much more to this little car than just fuel consumption to have in mind when you buy one with a twin air engine. If you don't care for speed, design, comfort and pleasure of driving there are other cars out there with better consumption figures.

As for the mpg, I think it not that bad when the engine is run in. My Panda has just passed 5000km and when I was on the freeway yesterday doing 81mph in direct headwind. I notice the instant consumption is around 33mpg :-(
But on the way home with the wind in my back the Panda was cruising at 93mph and the consumption was 42-45mpg :) Wind and hills are a pretty big factors to have in mind.

I did the entire 125mile trip with 45,2 MPG which I think is pretty good consider I drove like a maniac at some times.
On a short trips I can get 56,5 if I drive carefully.

What is your best twin air experience?

Last edited:
Getting around 45mpg at the moment on the way to work. 49mpg is my best so far.

On my way home (a different route) I once had 72mpg out of my old 500 twinair+ with 16" wheels. I reckon I could have got close to 80 with 14" steels and eco tyres that day.

You can get good mpg out of the twinair, you have to try though.

the twin air is a nice engine lot of low rpm pulling power
pulls good from 1500 and sometimes slightly less

as I am still running mine in I have yet to experence top end rpm
but as I had a drive in a demo car and got 75 to 80 mph was still Quiet more than my MJ 1.3 diesel and having got back in my old car putting my foot down on the throttle peddle thinking I was going to get the same

Tried hard today and got 50.5mpg on the way to work.
82BF09A3-CA24-4D2C-9B96-F43BF82363BC-1525-0000007E025188EF_zps4b932308.jpg

Well pleased with that!

yes I hope I can get a MPG figure like that I'm only on 32 mpg with the trip computer at then moment ,I think once I start with higher revs the mpg will go up ,I used to get anywhere from 54 to 58 on my old MJ once had 66 mpg on cross country A,class roads Run when the car was New filling in the miles

Got my panda today, what a brilliant piece of engineering. I wonder what the press has been moaning about this vehicle. It beat the vw up a million years ahead. 2500rpm@ 68-70 mph. Brilliant. I'm simply amazed at the performance. Already show 39.6 mpg. Tips for breaking it in? Thanks

reset trip B took someone to get there new MINI John player works ,
as my car was only fait out of 2 others and the rest were Minis did see one person take a look at mine from a distance personly I think I was cat amonst the pigions
but the real story is I reached 37.5 MPG cross country getting there and
45.2 mpg coming back duel carriageway on ECO getting back
last night from oxford train station cross country back home 50.2 mpg On ECO so it can be done

I can easily get that mpg from a 155 bhp turbo petrol in a DS3. It really shouldn't be a sweat for a lightweight petrol engine in a small vehicle to top 50mpg these days.

Last edited:
It really shouldn't be a sweat for a lightweight petrol engine in a small vehicle to top 50mpg these days.

It isn't :). Topping 60mpg is the hard bit for a petrol car - there aren't many which are capable of doing it on a long term basis. It can be done in a 1.2 500, but it is very hard work indeed.

Back