The Fuel Test

Currently reading:
The Fuel Test

deverill

So I put £40 of regular unleaded petrol into my car (which was a shocking 29 litres) and I reset the miles counter. Driving as economically as possible I want to see how many miles I can do before my fuel light is on solid (when in Neutral).

Once I have tried that I am going to try the Tesco Momentum fuel to see how much more.

Also to each tank I have/will added half a bottle of Red X which cost me £3.80 (does anyone know how effective this stuff is?)

I haven't decided whether to buy either £40 of Momentum or 29 litres of it. - What do you reckon?

My car is a 1999 1.2 Fiat Punto

Okay doke, sounds good.

It's not the fairest of tests but it shouldn't be too unreliable.

I should mention I will be driving the same sort of routes around my town (lots of starting and stopping. Speed limits vary from 20-40) and both lots of fuel will be bought from the same Tesco garage.

I'm not sure yet what I want this test to show... either which fuel is the most economical or which fuel is worth it in comparison to the price/mileage you get out of it. My friend is very into the Shell V Power, he uses it in his Supra. Says it "cleans the engine". Apparently this Tesco Momentum is similar to the Shell money saver.

Last edited:
The most accurate way of measuring fuel consumption is full tank to full tank, what happens if your fuel light comes on 20 miles from the nearest petrol station, how do you acurately work your consumption then. Its always painfull to fill a tank:eek:, but full tank to full tank is the only way i'm afraid

It soon gets used anyway :(

And it's cheaper to fill it up because the petrol price never falls

Well Tesco, Asda and Morrisons are slashing unleaded by up to 2p and Diesel up to 4p

Still be expensive though. I remember when the fuel went up faster than the money :LOL:

:eek: I can remember a time when you could fill up with petrol and pay 1p for a shot of red - in the good old days when forecourts always put the fuel in for you.
I can also remember a time when a fiver filled the tank, bought a large bar of choklit for the GF AND you still got change!:eek:

i think the majority of fuels these days already contain lots of additives which they claim improve economy or clean the lines etc etc - although it has been said once or twice that the cheaper stuff from supermarkets doesn't have the additives, hence the reason why it's cheaper - although there seems to be no difference in price these days so make of that what you will.

I run my HGT Punto on Tescos 99 octane. I'm sure it has no cleaning additives but the extra octane gives it more pep and I get better miles per £. Plain unleaded makes it feel like the tyres are flat and costs more to run.

I can do Stafford to Cardiff and back on 99. On plain unleaded I have to fill up part way home and overall spend more cash and its more hassle.

But its soon going to be gas converted. Cleaner and MUCH cheaper even at forecourt prices,

Are there high hopes for the petrol prices in the UK or will it keep going up and up? We are supposedly running out but that sounds like bull**** to me. Maybe the same sort of scenario with the Russians/Diamond theory.

The snag with the splutter to a stop method is hills up and down will affect when the tank goes dry and you can suck up all sorts of gunk into the fuel system.

Far better to brim the tank give it 2 clicks and then drive. Come back to the same pump and refill for two more clicks. Work out the fuel used over the miles. Job done.

Back