291871_10150345914942490_843307489_7982387_2065752022_n.jpg

The bimmer of bavarianess

Introduction

Well I decided 24,000miles a year in the Punto was too much and taking it out on my back and skeletal system too much :(. They really suck for distance driving!

So this is the new motor for awesome smoothness and comfort :slayer:

2003 BMW 3 Series 318CI "M-Sport" 2.0L Petrol.

327597_10150345915742490_843307489_7982389_654116593_o.jpg

291871_10150345914942490_843307489_7982387_2065752022_n.jpg

Just over 100,000miles full BMW service history and I'm getting a combined average of 39mpg!! :slayer:
I thought the numbers on the back also showed the engine size? wouldnt a 318 be a 1.8l? I don't know, either way the motor looks tip top! :p keep her in good shape!!

Nah the 318 could be 1.8, 2.0, 2.2. Just to confuse people lol.

Ahahaha, thats awesome then, yeah i can see why you wanted a nicer ride, bet its a right cruiser that, and it should have a nice pull for when you put your foot down too! :D.

Well another week down. I've had two breakdowns which I've diagnosed down to the very common Crankshaft position sensor. Pulling off from a roundabout and it would just die and loose all power and wont start again until the temp guage drops below a quarter.

Got it changed today along with the Aux belt (was perished) which has done the trick :)

Luckily its a timing chain on this engine so no belt to worry about and I achieved 39mpg last week :)

Last edited:
Well another week in I had yet another breakdown. Overheated and then the Radiator shat itself over a garage forecourt.

Lukily it's just the radiator. Looks like the dealer / previous owner used Radweld and god knows what to seal it temporarily. To say I'm fuming is an understatement.

i'll keep an eye out for you down aycliffe, shame about the rad woes!

thought about LPGing it? 24k miles a year would see a return in a matter of months, i used to be pro diesel but now i'm fancying something big and petrol with LPG, nice Jag 4x4 or something

Thanks Munkul. It's not a speed machine but it's plenty quick enough :D. Had my first "fun" drive in it today now I'm confident it won't blow up lol. I love how planeted & solid it is when you nail it into corners :slayer:

Yeah I have considered LPG. Will wait until I've had it a year to iron out teething issues etc and make sure it's reliable :D. I need to find one where the LPG filler is hidden I hate it in plain view it looks s***e.

After I sort out the rough edges too :). Need a new Drivers seat (or interior whatever's easier) due to worn bolster.

Bonnet and rear bumper need a re-spray. Rear nearside quarter needs some panel beating / filling and spraying. And alloy re-furb in anthracite if I decide not to blow my load on some BBS alloys :D.

Then onto light tuning with a K&N style lifetime replacement filter (Gruupe M kits although they're the dogs nutz are £830!!!). And some subtle mods to the stock induction system (removing plastic basically). Followed by a Remap & maybe a subtle catback exhaust if mine rots (sounds and looks pretty solid) but they usually are on Bimmers :).

I want one of these babies too:-

http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_e46.php

:slayer:

Last edited:
Back