The banks loose

Currently reading:
The banks loose

dannygp

Wish mine was a T-Jet :(
I'm officially the happiest man on the planet. Banks charges have been voted as unlawful in courts today.

Good job aswell cos they owe me over a grand. Anyone else been waiting for this case?

It doesn't matter. It is unlawful now.So once the OFT set the charges etc we can get previous charges back. I was getting charged £195 a month for being £5-£20 over when i was at uni.

They reckon charges will be a few quid. Because thats all it costs to send the letters out

Last edited:
I'm officially the happiest man on the planet. Banks charges have been voted as unlawful in courts today.

Good job aswell cos they owe me over a grand. Anyone else been waiting for this case?

Have claimed them back twice, nearly 3K in total. First time had to file court papers, second time they settle in full before. Cheers Halifax (y)

What the crack was just before this court ordeal was you could give the bank £10 and they would list all your charges over the last 6? years. Then they would simply give them back as someone found a loop hole or something in the law. But when the OFT (Office of Fair Trading) took the banks to court the charges were freezed. In this time banks started charging any amount they wanted (because they were going to either loose and have to hand them back to us or win keep them and keep charging any amount they wanted.) I reckon they will now charge about £50 to list all your charges.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges (best website ever if anyone hasnt discovered it yet)

Last edited:
No, there's charge of £2 per sheet with a max of £10 for the information, some banks/building socs/credit card firms will supply the information free, others will charge.

What the crack was just before this court ordeal was you could give the bank £10 and they would list all your charges over the last 6? years. Then they would simply give them back as someone found a loop hole or something in the law. But when the OFT (Office of Fair Trading) took the banks to court the charges were freezed. In this time banks started charging any amount they wanted (because they were going to either loose and have to hand them back to us or win keep them and keep charging any amount they wanted.) I reckon they will now charge about £50 to list all your charges.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges (best website ever if anyone hasnt discovered it yet)

cheers, will try and get it sorted when im off next

Never seen that one before. Would stick with Martin though ;) 2,000,000 used the exact same letter. Just changing odd bits

They're pretty good, set up by a couple of solicitors, plenty of advice on the forums along with all the letters, forms and interest calculation spread sheets needed.

Should point out that you can claim back charges on credit cards too.

Getting a list of all my charges in the last 5yrs. I don't have to pay the bank its all on my online banking :cool: :D. £450 so far will pay for more PC upgrades want a AMD Phenom Quad core :) :cool:. Oh and I notice I have a £25 charge pending.... Quick call to the bank I think :D.

i went £83 over drawn last month so just took all my money out accounts i have with that bank and flew to spain.

(last bit is a lie but first bit is true what will happen to me?)

Great, so now those of us who don't go overdrawn will start to suffer.
There was a time when banks charged for everything, then they introduced free banking - with all the charges being paid for by those who abused the system.
It won't be long before banks start charging for their services once more.

Indeed - and I would think it'll be those with poor credit history who'll get charged most just like with sub-prime mortgages. Maybe people should try to live within their means whenever possible? :rolleyes:

I hate when people moan about being charged for being overdrawn and owing £££'s on credit cards. :mad:

My mum brought me up with the the values of if you don't have the money, don't spend it, if you can't afford to pay bills, cut back on a few things. :rolleyes:

I will never have an overdraft in my life and I will never own a credit card. :)

Also, as soon I start my job and get some income in, I will save 50% of the price of a property in ISA's and high intrest account so my mortgage is lower. :)

It's all about saving. (y)

Back