the banks again

Currently reading:
the banks again

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090118/tuk-new-bank-bail-out-to-cost-billions-6323e80.html

so here we are,companies going to the wall
RM on the verge of covert privitisation and the banks are heading for yet another massive payout

The Government will set out plans to pour billions of pounds more of taxpayers' money into Britain's struggling banks in a bid to restore confidence and get credit flowing again. Skip related content

Officials worked throughout the weekend to finalise the second bail-out in three months which is expected to see the Government increase its stake in the banks while underwriting up to £200 billion of so-called "toxic assets".

The Treasury had been looking at the proposals for some weeks after it became clear that the initial £37 billion bail-out in October had failed to provide a sufficient platform for normal lending to resume.

However they were given added urgency by Friday's dramatic stock market falls amid fears that the banks were set to reveal further massive write-downs in the forthcoming results season.

Gordon Brown, in Egypt for an international summit on the Gaza crisis, said that the measures were intended restore lending to businesses and households amid fears that the shortage of credit is driving Britain deeper into recession.

"We know that the essential problem, that has been held back by what has been happening internationally over the last few months, is the resumption of lending and the expansion of lending," he said.

"What we want to do is see businesses get the money that they need to be able to create jobs and secure investment for the future. What I want to see is people who are mortgage holders having access to mortgages at prices they can afford. That's what tomorrow's programme is all about."

It appears that the plan has two main elements. One involves an insurance scheme for the "toxic assets" which the banks were left with after the collapse of the sub-prime mortgage market in the United States. Under such a scheme, the banks would pay a fee to have their bad loans underwritten by the taxpayer up to a certain level.

This would help "ring fence" the bad assets - estimated at around £200 billion - and limit their losses, freeing-up capital which could then be used to lend to individuals and businesses.

The second element could see the Government ease the terms of its original bail-out in which it took preference shares in some of the banks. These carried an onerous 12% rate of interest, encouraging the banks to pay them back as quickly as possible at the expense of lend.

now whilst i accept banks going to the wall isnt really a viable solution........
wheres the limit?

from my understanding its an insurance scheme so if bad investments (toxic) go beyond a certain level a pay out will occour.

also they are converting the preferencial shares the government have from last time into ordinary shares, freeing up tens of billions of capital to lend. government will have more say in the banks as they will have voting rights

the problem the banks have is all the little companies that used to do loans or gone/dissappearing so there is more demand on them, which they cant cope with because of the toxic investments

have a read here- http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston

the most powerful man in finance at the moment

Given how much profit they have made during the boom times, I really think they should have saved some of it for bad times instead of frittering it away on bonuses and corporate events for a select few. Who will still be getting bonuses and sent to corporate events this year no doubt :rolleyes: So IMO there should be severe strings attached to any loans. I am a taxypayer and don't want to be an insurance scheme for bad debts. I mean come on, did they REALLY believe GB when he said it was the end of boom and bust? :mad:

Given how much profit they have made during the boom times, I really think they should have saved some of it for bad times instead of frittering it away on bonuses and corporate events for a select few. Who will still be getting bonuses and sent to corporate events this year no doubt :rolleyes: So IMO there should be severe strings attached to any loans. I am a taxypayer and don't want to be an insurance scheme for bad debts. I mean come on, did they REALLY believe GB when he said it was the end of boom and bust? :mad:

the corporate events got cancelled

Last edited:
One of the reasons we are in this mess is becauce of the banks reckless lending, then people not being able to afford to pay the money back. Causing them to almost go to the wall. If they had continued this leading with the taxpayers money they where given then we would have ended up with this problem again.

The banks carnt win. Now they are being carefull and not handing it out to just anyone, people are still having a go at them. We need to get out of the habbit of cheap easy credit or we will only have these problems again in the future. Which the goverment isnt taking on board.

I'm hating this ATM...I have savings with 3 different banks including ones paying 6 percent fixed from before interest rates dropped to the point savings can hardly keep up with inflation and I really have no idea if its worth actually saving for the rainy day, or if when that day comes it wont matter because the money will be worth much less than it was when it was deposited anyway. Or just say balls to it I'm gonna have a holiday, mod my car and have some fun...at least I'll see something out of it that way.

I'm hating this ATM...I have savings with 3 different banks including ones paying 6 percent fixed from before interest rates dropped to the point savings can hardly keep up with inflation and I really have no idea if its worth actually saving for the rainy day, or if when that day comes it wont matter because the money will be worth much less than it was when it was deposited anyway. Or just say balls to it I'm gonna have a holiday, mod my car and have some fun...at least I'll see something out of it that way.

might be worth a gamble on premium bonds however if you win nothing its useless
i know halifax were doing a decent rate monthly saver plan for max 12 months
is that who you are with?

agreed the banks are not loved at the moment, but they never were by businesses anyway.

some businesses have failed and even if they had the money from the bank, they stil lwould have hit the wall due to the way the business was being run

ive got a bigger problem with the businesses they are withdrawing credi on
eg businesses running with an overdraft getting it removed on short notice

Last edited:
One of the reasons we are in this mess is becauce of the banks reckless lending, then people not being able to afford to pay the money back. Causing them to almost go to the wall. If they had continued this leading with the taxpayers money they where given then we would have ended up with this problem again.

The banks carnt win. Now they are being carefull and not handing it out to just anyone, people are still having a go at them. We need to get out of the habbit of cheap easy credit or we will only have these problems again in the future. Which the goverment isnt taking on board.

My thoughts too. We've got to bite the bullet and get back to more reasonable levels of lending.

might be worth a gamble on premium bonds however if you win nothing its useless
i know halifax were doing a decent rate monthly saver plan for max 12 months
is that who you are with?

Halifax, Brittania and Co-op ATM majority is in Halifax, with of nearly equal size in Brittania....and a piddly bit with Co-op

My thoughts too. We've got to bite the bullet and get back to more reasonable levels of lending.

the main issue is not personal borrowing
its buisinesses that need lines of rolling credit to function

or as the Germans would say..............

picture-6.jpg

Last edited:
Back