The Alpha wave, or now maybe the Fiat waze.

Currently reading:
The Alpha wave, or now maybe the Fiat waze.

I owned a 156 TS, n we had whats called the Alfa wave in the Alfa's owners club were as we would wave to other Alfa driver's, pretty sad eh? Me n my kids used to get waved at all the time by other Alfa driver's and we waved back. Do Fiat driver's have a similiar system or am I gonna be dragged from my Stilo Abarth and beaten up, if they can catch up with me that is LOL!!

Other Marea drivers don't wave. To be honest the state of the mareas I see going about it looks like the people that own them couldn't car what car they are driving. Not the most likely people to even notice a similar car going past.

Makes me sad cos I always notice other Mareas. I even started beeping to them just to confuse them.

my dad gets this oftem more so in his red 155 ts but no so much in his 156 now

i don't know about other fiats but mk1 punto.s and to an extent pandas uno's chinqus' and seichento's but by far the best are classic pandas

have the most incredible road manners i my self can admit guilt to this phenomenon

it gives you huge satisfaction knowing you have helped another small fiat owner along and got a courteous wave or hazard flash or rear wiper when it's not raining for your work

this does not always apply to those under the age of 20 i myself must be the only exception

i fear i might just be very sad but i will let you decide

Ive tended to find if a car is a new model then owners wave for a while, then as it gets older they stop, until it gets rare then peeps wave again.

For instance, everyone in a Mini waves when Im out in mine (real not BMW!).
Most Panda owners do wave or smile.
No one Ever waves or smiles when Im in the MR2.

We used to wave at people in Micras - probably because they were old and couldnt do anything.

Think i might start waving to other Stilo drivers - as i dont see many on the road so would be like a surprise :D

My dad bought a new VW Beetle around 1953 or 54 and used to get waves from the few other beetle drivers he encountered in the USA back then.

hey phil, welcome to FF.
what was your username on alfaowner? (i'm jug on both)

i get and give the alfa wave, its an executive club, just this morning i let a 147 in the queue for the A1, i didnt let anyone else in. he instictivley knew i'd let him in and pulled up next to me ready for me to make a gap for him. its great.

the alfa wave is less common in newer alfa's, its less enthusiast more suit, but i still let them out at junctions so i can admire the sexuality of their car's design, and it helps to show the new alfisti what the club is all about and what the rules are :)

driving a fiat doesnt have quite the same effect. there's too many of them, and they generally arent owned by people who care about their car. if you wave at people in fiats they are probably going to wonder why you are waving, and they probably wont even realise that they are driving the same brand car as you, its a completely different marque.

good luck with the abarth (y)

Last edited:
Waving at another car when you know it's driver is likely to wave back goes back to the 60s to my knowledge and prolly a lot earlier. I first found out about it when I got my Triumph Spitfire in the mid sixties. A fellow owner coming the other way on a bumpy B road near here while almost sideways still managed a friendly headlight flash. Even back then 99% of Spitfire owners would wave. If we are in the MG any classic MG we meet will wave or flash lights, a modern MG driven by an enthusiast will also do this. We have noticed over the past few years it's become more widespread and when we see Austin Healeys ,Triumphs ,Allards etc their drivers will acknowledge us in the MG. We have even had a cheery gauntlet waved in acknowledgment from a 1920s Veteran tourer. As Jug said Fiats are around in such numbers and a lot of owners are not enthusiasts so it does't happen. It's a shame as when you see a car that is a real Fiat, like a Mk I Panda, it would be great to say Hi to show that you understand why they are choosing to drive a car with soul rather than a Eurobox or an Asian Appliance car.
Oh , and if you are out on a motorcycle, even a humble 600cc Suzuki Bandit, you will get waves from most bikes you meet, although some sports bike riders wont wave to cruisers and some won't wave to Cruisers or street fighters etc etc:bang:

Last edited:
Other Marea drivers don't wave. To be honest the state of the mareas I see going about it looks like the people that own them couldn't car what car they are driving. Not the most likely people to even notice a similar car going past.

Makes me sad cos I always notice other Mareas. I even started beeping to them just to confuse them.

Well I love my 2001 Marea (Weekend), even though it is in a bit of a state, what with the dogs in the back and an annoying ding in the side which I can't afford to get fixed just yet, but, Alfa Sportswagon aside, it's still THE best looking estate on the road and (unlike the Alfa) a practical one too and pretty zippy even though completely unmodified JTD110. I always look for other Fiats, but don't wave as we are a bit common, though thankfully less so than most other medium-price European and Far Eastern cars (and I am 60, so those little dollies in their Pandas, Cinqs and Puntos would, rightly, think I was just a leery old man).

A friend in the MGCC had an offputting experience like this some years back, in slow moving traffic he leant out of his pre war tourer (an 18/80 if it matters) to say hi to a young girl in an MGF in the queue heading the other way. It was a sunny day so both cars were roof down. To both their surprise he discovered the reason she was ignoring him was that she was busy adjusting her tights:eek:. Not sure who found it scarier:)!

Back