General The Adventures of the Unwanted 750....

Currently reading:
General The Adventures of the Unwanted 750....

All day I was dying to get home from work to start at splutter but of course come 5.15 it started to tip down with rain and I've no garage at my house (and Juppy is taking up my dads)
But I'd such a welcome site when I got into the drive that i pulled on some old clothes an went out and did my Gene Kelly impersonation (without the singing and dancing but more sort of 'Spanners in the rain')

DSC01761.JPG

I put on 4 new wheels and tires (well, new to Splutter!) and took the headrests off (for that real economy look:D ) and fitted blanking plugs. Stuck some redex in and struggled over to the garage to double his value by filling the tank!

DSC01762.JPG

Then as it was getting dark went to my dad's as it's got loads of security lights and a bit of shelter from the open garage door. Splutter was dying the whole way and causing traffic mayhem... Every time I'd accelerate he'd die and then cut out. Was a bit nerve wracking:eek:

I'd got to my dads and turned up the idle to max so that Splutter would keep going when I took the vacuum advance off, when I realized that I'd left the porter manual behind and I knew the 750's had different timing to the the 999/1108 but couldn't remember what. Grabbed the phone and called back home to Alan and we had one of those 'Doctor Who' moments where the Doctor has to get Rose to do something but she has no clue to what its all about... I think Alan told me the tire pressures at least twice before he found that the timing is at 5 degrees over the top of the now screaming 750 engine running on full throttle while I'm trying to hold the phone, adjust the timing and stop the cables to the timing gun get caught up in the exposed timing belt:eek:

You sorta had to be there, but my dad's neighbours must love pandas:p

Anyway after fiddling with the mix and adjusting the clutch Splutter is now FIXED!:worship:

(thats the second time in a number of weeks that I've got to say that:D )

Anyway I'm booking an MOT tomorrow so I'll keep you all posted but remember this is Northern Ireland so it might be a few weeks before I get a date:cry:

Jim

Last edited:
beau_4076 said:
for that real ecomony look
Exactly!

I think they look better without on the hamock seats...

Also they make it looks huge inside and it's not as if they'd save my neck anyway as they only come up to the top of my back.

I'll get some photos tomorrow....

Jim

You'll buy Splutter back anyway once jim has him Mot'd :D

Jim your getting really good at fixing the mechanical side of Pandas. I'll be looking for you to help keep the Sisley going when I get it home.:worship:

Ah, after my time in Africa I've learned it's either do or die!:D

Anyway, who's got the rear wheel arch trim off Splutter?

he's only got a plastic trim on the passenger side so it was either his last owner or the boy that did all the welding on him!:p

Go on, own up! lol

Anyway, The lack of headrests as promised....

I really like this look (and more once I get the seats well cleaned) as it reminds me of small 70's cars with the tiny seats and no headrests. Makes the inside look massive... Very tardis like!

Right I'm off to try and fit a headlining and see why the lights are flashing with the indictors on Sylvia (yeah, I know... Earths:rolleyes: )

Jim

Attachments

• DSC01763.JPG
    DSC01763.JPG
    484.9 KB · Views: 19
The whole car has this 'Chicken wire and String' thing going on... It's soo cool!
It's like a big tent on wheels:D

Speaking of camping:p

DSC000401.JPG

Alan came home and found me rolling round in the back seats of Splutter... He'd just missed me pushing the new headlining in with my feet and thought I'd finally lost it and was going to stay the night in the panda:eek:

Anyway, I put in the headlining and it's a perfit fit (which is unusal when swapping parts on a panda!)

DSC01764.JPG

Jim

Back