Technical That can't be right

Currently reading:
Technical That can't be right

I Love my Multipla

Hi all, just got my Multipla, had it 8 days, the best car I have ever had (well except for my 1969 beetle, but that was along time ago), I know that there are threads for this question, but I need it clarifying. When I collected my Multipla from the garage the garage owner had put in 1 litre, which was fine as it was enough for me to get the the petrol station, put £18.00 in and so far have only done 80 miles, the petrol light came on to show petrol low and the read out says i am doing 20.2 mpg, surely that can't be right can it. I am only doing about a 7 mile round trip a day averaging approx 40 mph. I know somebody on the other thread said to add 20% to the mileage reading as its american, but that still only means 22 mpg. Can anyone tell me if this sounds correct. Cheers all.

Fiat Multipla, 2001, 1.6, petrol ELX

Did you reset the trip? If not it will be working out the mpg based on earlier consumption. Petrol models aren't particularly frugal though, which is why I went for an oil burner.

To reset the trip hold down the top button/peg that sticks out of the instrument panel for about 3 seconds, you will hear a beep when it clears the info.

Did you reset the trip? If not it will be working out the mpg based on earlier consumption. Petrol models aren't particularly frugal though, which is why I went for an oil burner.

To reset the trip hold down the top button/peg that sticks out of the instrument panel for about 3 seconds, you will hear a beep when it clears the info.

Hi The Frog, thanks for your reply, I did reset the trip, always do, force of habit whenever I put petrol in, I need to refill tomorrow so will reset again tomorrow and see if I get a better reading by end of next week. If it still reads about the same mpg I'll start to worry incase its something else, don't know if there is anything else or whether its just my driving. :cry:

Thanks again for your reply.(y)

It is worth doing a brim to brim check - our JTD actually does about 25% more mpg than the computer says.

I don't know the petrol engine but I presume it will have 02 sensors, I wonder if they are on the way out and make it run rich. The airflow meter might be worth checking, the often go on the jtd model.

When was it last serviced and is the timing ok.

Sounds to me about right for a 7 mile round trip.
The engine will always have the choke activated and never get warm!!! I bet you will get exhaust failure as well.....the moisture wont evaporate until its red hot.
Thats not a Multipla fault, its a short trip fault.
Be a devil and take it on a 100 mile trip ...i bet its better.....

Mal

Last edited:
Many thanks Mal, Will give it a go, I am totally obsessed at the minute checking my mpg, Think its best not to check, too depressing, still says about 20.8 mgpg:(. Put £20 in other day, did 50 miles and the petrol light came on, saying i've got about 60 miles left in the tank. Not sure if I did the right thing in trading in my VW Polo, only time will tell.

You traded a Vw Polo for a Multipla, do you need something with that many seats?
When I first got my Multipla JTD, I could'nt wait to see what MPG I was getting.But compared to a Peugeot 806 petrol;its fantastic..

Hi Texastel,

My Polo was a P reg so was on its way out, have three kids and a husband, and lots of kids friends so good for the school run, thats why I did a swap. When I bought the Multipla the garage fitted a complete new exhaust system, so I am wondering if they accidently touched anything which would cause me to do such rubbish mpg (there is probably nothing they could have touched, just trying to think of things to explain naff mpg results). Not going to dwell on it, must just get on with it.:rolleyes:

Well 'Love'...(thats not sexist...just cant write all yr nic and you seem not to have a name!!!)...I have a diesel...and it takes a while for the consumption thingy to go up. If i reset it in my drive, go to work...for the first 5 miles it shows avg consumption starting about 20...then rising after about 5 miles. The heater takes a while to warm in this really cold weather at 5am!! So...if the 50 miles you did was again...short trips....thats all you wil get. Nothing is wrong....its a big lump and a small donkey....not working efficiently until its hot. Like me really....when i'm hot...i'm dangerous.

Mal:devil:

Back