Multipla Tensioner/Timing belt

Currently reading:
Multipla Tensioner/Timing belt

vonnie40

Hi,
Should the tensioner be changed the same time as a new timing belt kit is being fitted?
Is it part of the kit?
Got my timing belt changed and have been having problems since to the point where the engine went and is now under investigation. Tensioner broke and wrecked engine is the opinion of the damage assessor.
I got a mechanic to fit new timing belt.Who is liable?
Should he have fitted new tensioner at that time?
Any feedback/help would be appreciated:cry:

Hi,
Should the tensioner be changed the same time as a new timing belt kit is being fitted?
Is it part of the kit?
Got my timing belt changed and have been having problems since to the point where the engine went and is now under investigation. Tensioner broke and wrecked engine is the opinion of the damage assessor.

A difficult question, it is certainly good practice to change tensioner bearings but whether it is something that must be changed is probably open to debate

Hi Rossacorsa,
Thanks for your reply!:slayer:
Are you a mechanic?
Only I am trying to figure out my next plan of action. The mechanics Insurance company,who did the damage assessment,are having difficulty getting mechanics claim form in and he is not co-operating with them or me. It is 3 month since my car broke down,tensioner broke and engine seized causing 2500 damage. He fitted a new timing belt a year ago but the car has not been running well since. The engine was shaking and I was over and back to him numerous times complaining about shake/noise before it broke down.I got second opinion in 2 other garages and they told me it needed replacing but he didnt agree and sent me on my way every time. The Insurance company are of the opinion that the tensioner broke which caused the engine/belt to break. I wonder if the mechanic didnt change the tensioner when fitting new belt,will I be liable or the damage or did he not do the work properly? Is the tensioner part of the kit?:confused:

Hi Rossacorsa,
Thanks for your reply!:slayer:
Are you a mechanic?
Only I am trying to figure out my next plan of action. The mechanics Insurance company,who did the damage assessment,are having difficulty getting mechanics claim form in and he is not co-operating with them or me. It is 3 month since my car broke down,tensioner broke and engine seized causing 2500 damage. He fitted a new timing belt a year ago but the car has not been running well since. The engine was shaking and I was over and back to him numerous times complaining about shake/noise before it broke down.I got second opinion in 2 other garages and they told me it needed replacing but he didnt agree and sent me on my way every time. The Insurance company are of the opinion that the tensioner broke which caused the engine/belt to break. I wonder if the mechanic didnt change the tensioner when fitting new belt,will I be liable or the damage or did he not do the work properly? Is the tensioner part of the kit?:confused:

Can't say I can see the direct connection between the tensioner failing after a year and engine not running well although it's possible that the cam timing was out from the belt change I suppose. I think most mechanics would leave it up to the customer as to whether to change the bearing unless it turned out to be clearly worn when checked, most folks prefer an economical rather than best job after all. I don't think that anyone here can really comment about your specific situation as to the rights or wrongs of it because it's not possible to see and judge all the evidence on a forum

You will need to refer to your original invoice to see if just a belt, or a complete kit including tensioner was fitted. It is unusual to replace just the belt, unless it is as a result of having to disturb it for another repair early in its life.

Poor running could be the result of incorrect timing, but only an inspection could determine if the incorrect timing led to the failure. Your complaints of poor running since belt fitment are possibly significant.

You say "tensioner broke". Tensioners seize, due to age and wear, or they can come loose if not tightened or fitted properly, but unusual to break. A better description might help.

It's just common sense to replace the tensioner (in my opinion).
It's does the same 'mileage' as the belt, and I wouldn't expect one to do 140,000+ miles (original + replacement belts max lifetime) without failing.

For what it's failure costs (as you've unfortunately found out Vonnie), it would be daft not to replace it with the belt.

Water pump should also be replaced for the same reasons.

seems we are in the same boat, my water pump has just seized shredding the belt and taking out the engine.
I have done extensive research regarding the cambelt and they all state the same that the tensioners are usually changed when they change the belt, most state they would recommend that the water pump is changed, a lot of garages ask for a disclaimer to be signed if you just want the belt changed. I may be luckier than you as mine was only 5 months ago from a dealer, so I have the sale of goods act on my side.
You are going to need to do a lot of work to prove that he didn't change the tensioner, although you could ask for a copy of the invoice with the purchase.
I have prepared my letter they have 48 hours to make a decision or I am taking it to small claims court.
what year is the car and what part of the country are you in?
the reason I ask is my car is a 2008 Eleganza and a new engine fitted, running and guaranteed for 2 years has been quoted at £1800, the best quote has been a reconditioned engine with a 3 month guarantee for £450 (have to fit it myself though)

Hi,
Is it part of the kit?
to answer the questions in turn.
It doesn't state the tensioner has to be changed, they do sell the belt on its own, or as a kit with tensioner or with the water pump as well. 3 variations.
why was the belt changed was it showing signs of wear or just a time issue, what did you ask the mechanic to do?
the multipla handbook doesnt over commit it just states that the cambelt needs to be changed every 120,000 km
who was the mechanic, was it a reputable garage services or a shed mechanic.
A quality mechanic who is interested in repeat work and good references would have steered you in the right direction, they would have known what was needed to be replaced as bikedoc said above tensioner kit and water pump, the difference in price is negligible, the full kit on ebay is only in the region of £150 a tradesman would get it far less

Last edited:
Last year I bought a kit including the water pump for about £85 (from BuyPartsBy iirc). It was good quality, made by Continental (the tyre people). Looks like it costs about £96 now. Try BuyPartsBy.co.uk, Eurocarparts.com, CarParts4less.co.uk. Shop4Parts is also worth a look, especially if you're a 'donated' member of the forum, as you get a 10% discount (y)

Back