General temperature guage on mpi sei. quries and opinions?

Currently reading:
General temperature guage on mpi sei. quries and opinions?

col7104 said:
For the temp sender, I'm using the sender that came with the gauge, and putting it where the standard sender is (with a thread adaptor as this sender unit is smaller). I won't need a red light as I'll have the gauge. I took this advice from Peter (GSR) who said that taking the reading from somewhere like the coolant pipe will not give a real indication of the temp in the head.

Thats why its coolant/water temp and not head temp :p This won't work on MPI anyway, only SPI. Not sure what bassy-alex has though!

Kristian

Ive got an mpi! I had a look through previous posts with the search func, and found a lot of posts about the temp gauge on the spi, but nothing definate about it on the mpi - thats why i asked! cheers for the help - it looks like a great guide, ive ordered most of the bits, so will hopefully get a chance to try and fit it soon. Ive gone for a dashtop pod, rather than loosing the vents like col7104 has... my g/friend alsways moans about being cold, so thought they ought to stay!

bassy-alex said:
Ive got an mpi! I had a look through previous posts with the search func, and found a lot of posts about the temp gauge on the spi, but nothing definate about it on the mpi - thats why i asked! cheers for the help - it looks like a great guide, ive ordered most of the bits, so will hopefully get a chance to try and fit it soon. Ive gone for a dashtop pod, rather than loosing the vents like col7104 has... my g/friend alsways moans about being cold, so thought they ought to stay!

Tell her to shut up moaning, theres more than one way to get warm :p

Ah, thats the motorad thermostat then! Yes, looks rather elegant doing it that way as well! Wonder what UK availability is like? Or did he just tap that himself?

Advantage there is that is measures temp even before the thermostat opens (y)

Kristian

/EDIT

the thread on my sender was 1/8 NPT if anyone is curious

Last edited:
Just finished the vents now. All the wiring is in and working, but I haven't put the temp sender in yet. Ran out of light. Heres a little pic :D

IMAG0667-5.jpg

Most will say CF is tacky, and I think so too lol, but it comes with CF efect as standard from the factory so I thought it would look best to keep in line with the current decor lol. I think it turned out quite well!

My original plan was for three but when I did some preliminary measurements it seemed I would be a couple mm out and would cut it very fine. I reckon now, in hindsight, it could be done, but also the price of the gauges was enough for me to say "OK, I won't attempt it"!:D

Can be done, would have been slightly harder as you can see I didn't cut everything away behind the vents (so a third gauge in the middle won't fit in there). This enabled the MDF to have something to support it in place. Also, with three circles cut out, there isn't much material left for A.strength and B.surface area for fibreglassing to the vent surround.

OK just a thought, need to mount some gauges in the Sei once it gets its 1368 16V as its running Emerald ECU want to monitor oil and water temps and maybe oil pressure as well, I'll just need to get it out and look as I would also like to recess the gauages so they point more at the driver than the roof.

Aaron.

Read the post on the 82 degrees thermostat and do the same to your car. This the best place to fit the sensor, because it's the hottest temp the water can get while in the head, the exit of the engine block. This way you have right readings all the time, even at morning starts.

Remember that you'll get 4-5 degrees higher reading than a cinq's original dial (which has the sensor at the entrance of the head), 98-99 degrees perfectly normal at a hot summer day.

By the way, the 82 degrees motorad thermostat was tapped by ourselves.

I read most of the 82 thread, but as its stickied i don't catch updates as often, and had already bought the adapter etc.

I do agree it appears to be the best place and if i were to do it again, I'd go that route. I even have the right tap already :bang:

Ah well, I'm sure mine is very accurate as well, its only just left the head.

Cheers,

KRsitian

Im in the middle of doing my temp gauge noe, ive not got to wiring yet, but just wondering where people got the wiring through from the engine bay to the inside of the car/rev counter area?

Cheers...

Sorry for late reply, been on hols in scotland.

I took it thought the rubber bung that is just above the accelerator pedal on the inside (just under the battery tray outside).

This is also where I run my sub-woofers power lead.

The its just a case of routing it the right way. i took out the rev counter pod, dangled wire down, tied the wire from the engine bay to it and pulled it all back up to the pod.

Hope that helps, must have forgotten that bit in the guide :eek:

Kristian

Back