General Temperature Gauge after Cam change

Currently reading:
General Temperature Gauge after Cam change

lemonpillows

Hi Guys,

Quick bit of advice needed. I just got the Cam belt and alternator belt changed on my Brava 1.6 1996 (P reg). The garage had to keep it overnight as some of the parts were very difficult to get off. (it had obviously never been changed).

When I got the car back, and got to about 40/50, the needle on the temperature gauge was bouncing up and down like mad. Then it managed to get itself stuck over the plastic at the top of the gauge.

I'd like to go back to the garage and get them to fix this, but am afraid of being screwed. What could they possibly have done during a cam belt change to cause the temperature gauge needle to jump??

Thank you!

weird, it sounds like an earth fault at the engine, but its hard to day without doing some diagnosis. let the garage sort it out, it isnt your fault. they'll have to dismantle the instrument cluster to pop the gauge needle back below the plastic at the top and check all engine wiring carefully, especially the earths.

weird, it sounds like an earth fault at the engine, but its hard to day without doing some diagnosis. let the garage sort it out, it isnt your fault. they'll have to dismantle the instrument cluster to pop the gauge needle back below the plastic at the top and check all engine wiring carefully, especially the earths.

:yeahthat:

Any luck?

Yeah - thanks. I took it back to the garage and they said that someone had not fixed a wire back properly. So when I was driving, it was moving around and hitting the temperature gauge or something, which was sending the needle haywire.

Anyway, they fixed it free of charge and not even a quibble! So I needn't have worried. Maybe not all garages are out to rob me...

Back