General Temp gauge not on halfway all the time

Currently reading:
General Temp gauge not on halfway all the time

mattwick92

My panda 1.2 dynamic 2010 temp guage doesn't sit at halfway anymore unless when its fully warmed up and I'm sitting at the lights...

It tends to go just underneath halfway and goes up and down when driving.

I'm not experienced any coolant loss or performance loss either.

Do I need a new thermostat?

I have fitted a few cheap ones. there not as good as the original but have never failed

ECP should be fine if you apply the discount code and choose click and collect

but any local motor factor will do

you will need a Hose clamp as well. Measure the size. I stood in a DIY store going back and fourth between two sizes. It harder than you think to remember the size by memory

I mentioned ECP being bad because last time they gave me the wrong thermostat but hopefully like you say they'll be ok...

I mentioned ECP being bad because last time they gave me the wrong thermostat but hopefully like you say they'll be ok...

unfortunately they are just box shippers nowadays. Gone are the days were the person behind the counter actually knows about the product they are selling

better taking the old part with you if you can

last part I wanted was some 75W80 which worked out at around £5 at ECP and £15 at another local factor and from £4 on ebay

My panda 1.2 dynamic 2010 temp guage doesn't sit at halfway anymore unless when its fully warmed up and I'm sitting at the lights...

It tends to go just underneath halfway and goes up and down when driving.

I'm not experienced any coolant loss or performance loss either.

Our 2010 Panda 1.2 Dynamic Eco (Becky) does exactly the same. Once warmed up the needle sits at around or just above the 1/4 mark. Then when you sit still with the engine running it slowly comes up to 1/2 (normal) but regulates at that unless you run it for a very long time when it will rise until the fan cuts in. As soon as you get moving again it quite quickly goes back to the 1/4 mark.

We've had a number of Pandas in the family over the years (in fact I can hardly remember when we didn't have one) and they've all done this at one time or another. I've learned that the thermostats are quite prone to failure. I've found cheap, generic branded ones from local sources tend to fail monotonously regularly. The good thing, I suppose, is that they don't seem to fail closed (which would cause the engine to overheat of course) and, although there's a bit of "gubbins" to get out of the way for access, it's not a difficult job to change one.

This is the first one I've needed to do since I started buying stuff from Shop4parts and I'm getting one as part of my next order from them. I'm very interested to see what they supply and how long it lasts - I'm confident it will be good though as other "stuff" I've had from them has proved to be of first class quality.

unfortunately they are just box shippers nowadays. Gone are the days were the person behind the counter actually knows about the product they are selling

better taking the old part with you if you can

last part I wanted was some 75W80 which worked out at around £5 at ECP and £15 at another local factor and from £4 on ebay

I have a good choice of factors here in Edinburgh with another 3 or 4 at least within a half hour drive. Yes, Always take the old part with you if possible. many of the "laddies" working in these establishments can only go by what the computer recommends and don't have intimate knowledge of the low volume parts.

The brands they all sell are very similar and often overlap and although SRS are my nearest and, generally, cheapest - and my "go to" normally - I sometimes have a ring round if I'm looking for a more expensive part. Almost without exception I've found ECP quote the highest price and, mainly because they don't supply the oil brands or filters I prefer I've pretty much given up on them.

In a word, yes.

This post tells you exactly what you have to do. It's the same model & year as your car. It'll cost you less than a tenner.

This post explains why it fails, and why the onset is usually progressive.

The later Euro5 engine (used in the 169 panda from late 2010 to end of production) has a different thermostat with a built-in temperature sensor & wiring, which is much more expensive; hence the confusion with parts supply.

Last edited:
How much should it cost for a new thermostat to be fitted in a local garage roughly?

How much should it cost for a new thermostat to be fitted in a local garage roughly?

Not more than £50 including the part. Perhaps another £30 if they also change the coolant; not strictly necessary as it can be syphoned out and replaced, but worth doing if you've no idea of the car's history.

If you take it to a franchised dealer, £250-£300 + VAT wouldn't surprise me.

If you do it yourself (it's not hard), less than £10.

Whereabouts are you based?

Last edited:
Does anyone know the correct thermostat part? ECP gives me two different options:S thankyou

Ok thanks my mechanic friend has bought both thermostats from ECP just incase we buy the wrong one :)

I can confirm that the right part is 209650320 from eurocarparts.

Be careful to check they include the gasket as my friend was given a used one...

Thanks for the help.

Back