tell insurance drilled air box??

Currently reading:
tell insurance drilled air box??

Status
Not open for further replies.
technically they would want to know that you curbed a wheel or scratched a door as its an accident and they will use it as an excuse to get another 20 quid out of you at renewal.

I think we should start harrasing insurance companies with tons of minor mods so that they realise its not worth harrasing motorists over minor changes; stickers, air filters, exhausts (providing power increase is minimal) etc

No, I don't think so.

When all's said and done, drilling the airbox doesn't make the car any quicker, affect the power, make the car more attractive to thieves, make it prone to accidents, affect the handling or change the value at the car, so my OPINION is that you don't need to bother telling them.

However, for your own peace of mind, you could ring your insurance company and ask them if drilling your air box will affect your policy/premium. They may charge you a few quid (administration fees) to change the details of your car on their database (ie listing that your car has a modified air filter/induction system), and they will ask you if the mod affects the cars performance (which it doesn't) or they may just say its not worth changing the cars details for such a minor change to the cars specification.

Last edited:
Minime said:
However, for your own peace of mind, you could ring your insurance company and ask them if drilling your air box will affect your policy/premium. They may charge you a few quid (administration fees) to change the details of your car on their database (ie listing that your car has a modified air filter/induction system), and they will ask you if the mod affects the cars performance (which it doesn't) or they may just say its not worth changing the cars details for such a minor change to the cars specification.

if you tell them mid term that you have added something that mite affect the performance orr looks they woudl load the policy with and AP (added Premium) and you would have to pay that to stay insured with them

Drilling the airbox wouldnt affect performance or looks.

Last edited:
yeah so can find out pretty much any thing hehehe and i know how to cut corners but i woudlnt recommend it

wolfracepunto said:
Ive read an article testing different induction mods and drilling the standard airbox, leaving the standard paper element in, got the biggest power increase!! It was from a Ford RS Turbo mag (dunno why I was reading it)

I remember when me & my mates used to ride 125cc race reps (many eons ago:eek: ) & some of them drilled their airboxes & their bikes blew up!:D Diiferent engines I know but I can't see any benefit myself.

Depends what cover is its TPFT You've nothing to loose.

Personally, I havn't told about any mods, beacause im never going to claim on my insurance at the point where I am at the moment.

If I had a crash and they inspected my car, then so be it.

I'd rather take the risk, than get scammed out of £50 by a ****ty company!

Minime said:
Drilling the airbox wouldnt affect performance

Nah. Rubbish. More air goes in = better bang = more power.

For the same air speed, a drilled airbox will flow more air than the standard item, so it will definately affect performance!

GhettoMoose said:
...TPFT You've nothing to lose

Nope. If you car was inspected as part of an accident investigation and you were found to be lying about any mods on the car the policy would be invalid.

Plus, wantonly giving false details (eg: not informing of mods) does constitute fraud, so an insurer would be well within their rights to take legal action against you!

Last edited:
Ben R said:
I can't see any benefit myself.
Id never do it on newer cars with warranties, but on older cars that you wont mind if anything goes wrong, why not? Its a way of getting more air into the engine as long as cold air gets to it. A rolling road would be needed to see actual power gains/benefits though ;)

arseofbox said:
Nah. Rubbish. More air goes in = better bang = more power.

For the same air speed, a drilled airbox will flow more air than the standard item, so it will definately affect performance!

Can't see that myself as most airboxes are pressurised Start messing with that & you could throw the engine out of tune.(n) Just because there's more air going in doesn't mean it'll get burnt so doesn't actually mean there'll be a bigger bang.

Ben R said:
Can't see that myself as most airboxes are pressurised Start messing with that & you could throw the engine out of tune.(n) Just because there's more air going in doesn't mean it'll get burnt so doesn't actually mean there'll be a bigger bang.

Theyre not pressurised to anything over atmospheric pressure, or if they are theyre running forced induction.

Most inlet systems actually run in a state of fairly heavy vacuum, as the inductive action of the engine draws charge through it, eg: 15mmHg at idle and 28-29mmHg on deceleration.

...If you read my post, you will notice that I never implied more air - bigger bang. I implied more air - BETTER bang.

If the fuel burns at its stoiciometric point (1 part petrol to 14.7 parts air IIRC), there will be only CO2 and water produced, not CO and unburnt fuel...the ECU prevents this from happening fully, as a compromise needs to be reached between burn economy and the engine running cycle (the fact that an engine runs over a very large speed range makes this very hard), but we can only try and improve things!!

Ben R said:
Can't see that myself as most airboxes are pressurised Start messing with that & you could throw the engine out of tune.(n)

Most,if not all airboxes form parts of a tuned volume that is tuned to respond at a certain engine speed, their dimensions are critical, and altering that will alter the state of tune....thats why high flow filters arent always that good, as they reduce too much of the system volume.

Hellcat said:
technically they would want to know that you curbed a wheel or scratched a door as its an accident and they will use it as an excuse to get another 20 quid out of you at renewal.

Most insurance policies allow for general ware and tare on a car... like minor paint scuffs small dents and curbage. Insurance companies want to know about things that increase your risk rating.

GhettoMoose said:
Depends what cover is its TPFT You've nothing to loose.

Personally, I havn't told about any mods, beacause im never going to claim on my insurance at the point where I am at the moment.

If I had a crash and they inspected my car, then so be it.

I'd rather take the risk, than get scammed out of £50 by a ****ty company!

So.............what if you went into someone, put them in intensive care and they had to be cared for the rest of their life, unable to look after themselves? The cost would be significantly more than the money you could 'save' by not declaring mods and thereby making your insurance invalid.
And remember, this is a public forum, accessible to anyone, so what you've essentially done is akin to standing up in the pub and shouting out 'I'm breaking the law'.

If you can't afford to insure a mod, then you can't afford to have it.

chaos said:
So.............what if you went into someone, put them in intensive care and they had to be cared for the rest of their life, unable to look after themselves? The cost would be significantly more than the money you could 'save' by not declaring mods and thereby making your insurance invalid.
And remember, this is a public forum, accessible to anyone, so what you've essentially done is akin to standing up in the pub and shouting out 'I'm breaking the law'.

If you can't afford to insure a mod, then you can't afford to have it.

The Thrid Party is always covered, Its the Insurers duty as far as I'm aware to make sure the person you hit gets paid... just not the person driving the not fully insured vehicle.

And please don't say that "if you can't afford to insure the mod" b0ll0x, it's condecending and it's not true. Insurers have their backs... make sure you have your's as I've just found out.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can testify that yes, drilling your airbox does affect performance! Our 899 cinq pulls away a lot cleaner and idles better with the box drilled. it's also slightly more efficient in town as the engine doesn't need to work as hard to get the air in.

If you are saying that it doesn't, then why bother with a k&n (or any induction mod bar forced induction) as all they do is allow the air to enter the engine more efficiently.

Jon+Em

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back