Taxing Tax

Currently reading:
Taxing Tax

The Trooper

Established member
It's been aaaaaages since I last went to the post office to get tax on a car, can someone please confirm what I need to produce? I know you need an MOT certificate, but do you also need the insurance certificate too?

Many thanks,

Rob

Yep, you need the Reminder form, valid MOT and valid Insurance Certificate. Oh and the money....................

The Trooper said:
Reminder form? I'm not sure I have one of those, does that mean I can't tax it:confused:

IIRC its a V11 - normally, you get sent one through the post.

hmm I could be facing problems, I've just bought the car (but tax has expired), do I need to get in touch with the seller and get hold of it? Or is there anything else I can do?

AppleSei said:
what i just said isnt it
Yes. It was. Just reminded me that I needed to check up on what I had to do with claiming back tax when you don't have the tax disc, so my reply took several minutes :)

Last edited:
The Trooper said:
hmm I could be facing problems, I've just bought the car (but tax has expired), do I need to get in touch with the seller and get hold of it? Or is there anything else I can do?

ring DVLA see what they say?

The Trooper said:
Aah thats fantastic cheers (y) haven't sent off for my new V5 slip yet, will have to do so in the morning.

As long as you have the green new keeper slip off the old V5 (i.e. off the V5 that was registered in the old owner's name) then you can tax it. You don't need to wait for the V5/2 to come back in your name to tax the car (y)

Trancendental said:
Can also get Tax online, so no need to produce docs as its all on computer.

That is assuming you have the new style MOT though..................

chaos said:
As long as you have the green new keeper slip off the old V5 (i.e. off the V5 that was registered in the old owner's name) then you can tax it. You don't need to wait for the V5/2 to come back in your name to tax the car (y)

Only just read this I've already sent it off. I need to wait for the insurance certificate anyway so hopefully they'll come in the post around the same time.

Back