tax

Currently reading:
tax

Lupi

Formally, The Corsa Owner
Been trying to sort out why I'm paying tax when I shouldn't be all morning.

I'll ring one number they'll tell me what I already know then tell me to ring another etc.

I earn less than the taxable rate, am a full time student and yet I'm on tax code 603L (m1) :( is there a simple solution to this? If I ring another number and they refer me to someone else again i think I'm going to scream.

is there a simple solution to this?
your employer is to blame, see whoever is in chanrge of PAYE administration and ask them to explain why they are ignoring your tax code. inland revenue will help you claim back any tax you shouldnt have paid, but it is your employer who you need to see to stop it getting paid in the first place.

Last edited:
Thank you guys. Will get on the phone asap. Been trying to phone tax people again but these numbers I've found on their website don't work :confused:

You have a Month 1 Emergency code, that is why. So your freepay for the month will be £503 or thereabouts, irrespective of previous earnings...

What box did you tick on your P46 when you started working for them?

Last edited:
Eh, did you sign a student declaration then? You must have given them something, or signed something... how would they know your NI number and date of birth, for instance!

Tbh im not sure, i was working 2 jobs when i first started. But still earnt under 3000.

Tbh im not sure, i was working 2 jobs when i first started. But still earnt under 3000.
So what is your code on the other job?

If it is your first job in the tax year, you will get the standard 603L code [unless P45 states different]

If it is your only job, but have had another job in the tax year, you will get assigned a 603L Emergency code, unless you can provide a P45.

If you have another job when you started, then you should have got a BR Basic Rate code.

Once on an emergency code, then the fact you earned under £3k is irrelevant, each month is taken on its' own merit.

Last edited:
So what is your code on the other job?

If it is your first job in the tax year, you will get the standard 603L code [unless P45 states different]

If it is your only job, but have had another job in the tax year, you will get assigned a 603L Emergency code, unless you can provide a P45.

If you have another job when you started, then you should have got a BR Basic Rate code.

Once on an emergency code, then the fact you earned under £3k is irrelevant, each month is taken on its' own merit.

went to work to have a word and turns out i had done a p60 but they hadnt amended it when i quit my other job... and they said they would:bang: oh on the plus side im not paying any more :)

now just need to ring the taxman and ask for a rebate which will be a nice lump sum :) any recommended numbers? I must be looking in the wrong place because i cant find one

went to work to have a word and turns out i had done a p60 but they hadnt amended it when i quit my other job... and they said they would:bang: oh on the plus side im not paying any more :)

now just need to ring the taxman and ask for a rebate which will be a nice lump sum :) any recommended numbers? I must be looking in the wrong place because i cant find one
Had done a P60?! :confused: As in received one for the year ended 5th April 2008.

Or do you mean for the current tax year we are in? If so, you won't get the refund from the taxman, but via the payroll direct.

You just need to give your LTO a ring - what's your employer reference?

Had done a P60?! :confused: As in received one for the year ended 5th April 2008.

Or do you mean for the current tax year we are in? If so, you won't get the refund from the taxman, but via the payroll direct.

You just need to give your LTO a ring - what's your employer reference?

que?

Will be a reference, like 190/H1232 for example - 190 is the code for the office you need to ring, and H1232 would be the business in that area, beginning with H for example.

It will be on your P60.

Last edited:
Will be a reference, like 190/H1232 for example - 190 is the code for the office you need to ring, and H1232 would be the business in that area, beginning with H for example.

It will be on your P60.

oh ok, though i havn't got one. they kept it i think. got an old p45 would that be the same?

oh ok, though i havn't got one. they kept it i think. got an old p45 would that be the same?
Ah, now it starts to make sense.

So this is for last tax year I take it? And you finished before 5th April 2008? So in that case, they gave you a P45... Because you weren't there at 5th April, then you wouldn't have got a P60.

And then you got a new job in the next tax year? i.e. from 6th April 2008 onwards?

Ah, now it starts to make sense.

So this is for last tax year I take it? And you finished before 5th April 2008? So in that case, they gave you a P45... Because you weren't there at 5th April, then you wouldn't have got a P60.

And then you got a new job in the next tax year? i.e. from 6th April 2008 onwards?

pretty much part from i got them almost at the same time but lost one near the end of the summer

pretty much part from i got them almost at the same time but lost one near the end of the summer
So what paperwork do you have?!

You can PM me if you want - it sounds as if you are due a refund for 2007/8 if you were on an emergency code back then.

What codes are you on now, for your current job/s??

Back