General Tax Disc Holder

Currently reading:
General Tax Disc Holder

KurtB

Hi,

My tax disc holder keeps coming unstuck and my tax discs keeps falling out. Im gonna put a new one in, but I dont know what to do with the original one. It has a wire coming out of it, was is it for? Only ideas I got is maybe something to do with the alarm (detect window breaking?) or anti taxi disc theft (can't see how this would help though as I can just remove it :D ).

Cheers

Its dark so I'll get some pics up tommorow, but it is sort of rectangular in shape with a circle gap to slide the tax disc in against the window, and its got a black cable running out of the bottom of the holder to behind the dash. Because of this I imagine its standard

I dont want to cut the wire to take it out if I buy a new one because I dont know what it will effect. I might just have to try to put new sticky pads on it or something so I can keep it

you could see where the wires go in the tax disc holder, and do a sort of cutting operation to it then fix a new one there :D

i just got 56 sticky sellotape double sided pads from wilkinsons to re-badge my car :p - for 79p

(but i realised that they wouldnt work on the outside so i bought a supersticky role of double sided tape from homebase instead :p)

My car was fitted with a hands free setup when I bought it, but I removed the cradle. By the looks of it this had something to do with that, maybe acted as an aerial, as the cable went behind the dash, and linked up with some sort of an antena fitted inside the car near the interior light, which was definately an aftermarket item.

So I cut the leads put them behind the trim tidily as I couldnt pull the wires out, and put a new holder in! I was worried it would affect the speakers (I heard some hands free kits use the car speakers) but everything worked alright,

So if anyone else has this in the car maybe it will solve a bit of a mystery :p

Yes, it's most likely, almost certain to be a 'Tax Disc Aerial' for a mobile phone. It certainly won't be original as I believe the original aerial is hidden. We've got Connect Nav+ (integrated phone) and the aerial for this is not visible and we have a standard Tax Disc.

My company car has a 'Tax Disc Aerial'. I actually removed mine and hid it in the roof lining, as the wire ran all the way down the 'A' pillar it was easy to pull it back up. That way I didn't have to cut anything and my mobile works fine.

If you don't use the mobile phone kit in your car I'd suggest that it's most likely that you could cut the wire although it's best if you could post a photo for others to check / confirm. Alternatively why not try what I did and see if you can hide it by pulling the cable back and not cutting anything? Then just get a standard tax disc hiolder.

EDIT - Just re-read your post and seen that you've cut the wire already - no worries!

Last edited:
Back