Technical Tappet Adjustment?

Currently reading:
Technical Tappet Adjustment?

I had my JTD 115 service last September, the 82k mile service. i didnt go to fiat and i had every thing done per their schedule apart from the tappet adjustment. Im not really sure what this entile but im guessing the cam shaft tappets need adjusting because of wear?

should i go and get this done? what kind of cost am i looking at?

cheers

Stu

I had my JTD 115 service last September, the 82k mile service. i didnt go to fiat and i had every thing done per their schedule apart from the tappet adjustment. Im not really sure what this entile but im guessing the cam shaft tappets need adjusting because of wear?

should i go and get this done? what kind of cost am i looking at?

cheers

Stu
You have hydraulic tappets and they are auto adjustable so you shouldn’t need any adjustment whatsoever. There are JTD stilos that have done half a million kilometers here, imported from Italy with who knows what maintenance and service and are running like brand new. But someone who has disassembled an engine should give an opinion :)

JTD 115 engine does not have hydraulic tappets. They are adjusted by replacing shims with different thickness ones. They should be checked every 24,000 miles.

Price of checking the valve clearances should be included in the service price but there would be an extra charge for any that needed adjusting and the cost would depend on how many shims (if any) need replacing.

JTD 115 engine does not have hydraulic tappets. They are adjusted by replacing shims with different thickness ones. They should be checked every 24,000 miles.

Price of checking the valve clearances should be included in the service price but there would be an extra charge for any that needed adjusting and the cost would depend on how many shims (if any) need replacing.
Is it just the JTD 115 that uses these?

Hope my JTD (115) got checked when Pewsham Garages serviced it in November. Don't remember reading anything on the service check list to suggest the tappets were looked at, but i paid over £700 for service, cambelt & waterpump plus a couple of minor bits & bobs so i'd hope they were checked :confused:

I'm pretty sure there was a cam cover gasket on the invoice, result! Thanks.

Now i know why i had cam cover gasket listed a couple of times when i took my Punto JTD for a service - i could never figure out why it needed one.

Some less reputable garages will just charge for the gasket to make it look as though they've done the tappets.

Not wanting to burst your bubble. ;)

Hopefully this wasn't the case. There'll be trouble if it was.

I used Pewsham Garages in Chippenham & they seem to be held in high regard so i hope they either did it all or just left it alone & didn't charge.

Back