Technical taking out the dash

Currently reading:
Technical taking out the dash

ok.. i dont want to completly remove it but just bring it forward a bit so i can get my arm down the back and direct the speedo cable to where it should be going.

so anyway, where are all the screws that hold it on?

and whats the best way to actually bring it forward? im assuming to take it out you would need to remove the steering wheel too?

the best way to do this is to undo the 3 allen key screws that go across the front of the dash (the black bit) then u need to pry off the little plastic bits either side of the clock and there are 2 allen key screws in there. that will get the whole black dash bit off.

then the dials come out with 4 phillips headed screws that u will b able to c, 2 above the dials which face you, and 2 on the bottom which face up wards, then unplug the 3 plugs (1 big one on left, 1 red and 1 white on right, remembering which one goes on top!) the dials will then be free apart from the speedo cable, u need to reach underneath the dials and unclip the speedo, dont just pull as u will pull the cable apart, u need to push the white bit back freeing the cable and the dials will com straight out.

u will then be left with a hole and the speedo cable head staring right at you!

getting the dials back on it A LOT more difficult as there is a nack to gettin the cable back into the dials... wat i did was line the dials up, then reach under with my right hand (palm up) and semi push the cable back in, then remove my hand and push down on the dials to make sure the cable is in. reconnect the plugs, and take her for a little drive to make sure everythin is working, then just screw the dials back in, and re attach the dash with the allen key screws!

hope that wasnt too long winded! (y)

p.s: i have snapped mine and was wondering how easy it was to change???

HTH

mase

its **** easy to change a speedo cable if thats what your on about its just how you feed it hrough from under the bonnet that decides wheather its deifficult to get it to the clocks

And i think its Dj bucho that took his whole dash out to do some tweeters so if you need removal advice your best of asking him by pm incase he hasnt noticed this thread

Bushboy said:
no.. i mean the WHOLE dash lol... the dial bit is easy. getting the cable through to that section is a nightmare as far as im concerned.

ahhh, i thought u fed the cable through from the engine bay, doesnt it run down by the wiper motors? suerly if u take off the big black thing at the back of the bay u can feed it from there?

I suspect its not stuck behind the dash, but stuck between the two skins of the bulkhead. Removing the dash will not increase the ability to see the cable. You will need a peice of metal coat hanger amd poke it in from the speedo end and try and release the fat end of the cable so you can pull it back. Once you do get it out a length of washer tube over the coat hanger metal pushed back in from the speedo end should arrive at the engine end, and you can then attach the pipe to the new cable to guide it in.

Cheers

D

Reactions: HP
Back