Technical Tail-light/sidelight problem

Currently reading:
Technical Tail-light/sidelight problem

Just after another avenue of suggestions for my ongoing electrical problems. I had intermittent failures with the rear lights - sometimes only one brake, sometimes one reverse etc, and have finally decided that it was simply dirty connectors. I have cleaned everything up with electrical connector fluid, and now have nearly everything up and running. My problem is that the taillights on both sides are still out. The foglights work fine, but can only be used when the headlights are on, rather than the front sidelights - if I don't manually turn them on, I've no light at the rear bar the registration lights.
All earths look ok - there are extra ones attached. Anybody any idea why just the tails should be out? Failing that, can anyone confirm the wiring colour which supplies that particular bulb?

Stop/tail bulbs have two contacts and two filaments. There arew single filament/twin contact bilbs that cause all sorts of problems.

The stop/tail bulbs have stepped pins so must go in the right way round to fit properly.

Cheers

SPD

Strange behaviour from rear lights is often an earth fault - the power cant get get to the chassis so finds its way down an alternative wire. Take the lights off and check the earth (and connector) contacts are all good.

There's obviously been an earth issue in the past, because the l/h has two wires soldered to the board and screwed to the chassis, and the r/h has an extra wire bolted to the board and screwed to the chassis.
I've cleaned everything up and made sure all contacts are good. before I had problems with the fogs aswell, but now its just the tails. Am going to try new bulbs tonight out of curiosity, but am pretty sure that they are ok.

Back