General TA Cross Gearbox Issues

Currently reading:
General TA Cross Gearbox Issues

TTR

Established member
Eh up all,

Been a while since I posted on here or in the 500 forum as both have been running fine ( kiss of 💀)

My TA Cross has developed a nagging fault, over the last few months selecting reverse gear from start up has resulted in a “groan” / “ grounch when moving backwards.. Sounds like either lay shaft bearings or bearings in box associated with reverse gears to me. ☹️😢

It only does it in reverse .?
It does not seem to do it after it’s warmed up?
It does not manifest itself in any other gear?

I know that these boxes are like chocolate, I’ve already replaced the 500 box for similar bearing failures!🤬

I’m surprised as my miles are low , 14000 on a 66 plate , driven slow and steady and I’ve owned it since it was 4 months old.

Anyone any views, knowledge or experience of this issue in a TA Cross

Also anyone taken one out .

I’ll have a go at most stuff as those who know me on the forum will testify, had a 4x4 since the Mk1 so know them fairly well😳

As usual all help greatly appreciated 👌

Eh up all,

Been a while since I posted on here or in the 500 forum as both have been running fine ( kiss of 💀)

My TA Cross has developed a nagging fault, over the last few months selecting reverse gear from start up has resulted in a “groan” / “ grounch when moving backwards.. Sounds like either lay shaft bearings or bearings in box associated with reverse gears to me. ☹️😢

It only does it in reverse .?
It does not seem to do it after it’s warmed up?
It does not manifest itself in any other gear?

I know that these boxes are like chocolate, I’ve already replaced the 500 box for similar bearing failures!🤬

I’m surprised as my miles are low , 14000 on a 66 plate , driven slow and steady and I’ve owned it since it was 4 months old.

Anyone any views, knowledge or experience of this issue in a TA Cross

Also anyone taken one out .

I’ll have a go at most stuff as those who know me on the forum will testify, had a 4x4 since the Mk1 so know them fairly well😳

As usual all help greatly appreciated 👌
I've a 4x4 TA that always moans like this when reversing off the drive in the morning, I used to worry about it but since the majority of miles are done in the other direction I have decided I can live with it... I also note that it goes away when warmed up. I wondered that it might be a release bearing issue but have also had a new clutch so I dunno?! As above I will live with it but will be changing (rear) diff oil just for the hell of it since I don't see it being connected. I'm on circa 75k miles.

It will be interesting to hear of other's experience.

Might not be your gearbox, the 4x4 models have dragging rear brake pads, mine does it when reverse parking, I took them out and cleaned them up which improved it.

There is a recall on these where they fit vibration dampers to the calipers

Panda 11

Cheers for the input - interesting you have the same symptoms as mine. It’s defo not release bearing as you would hear that stationery as you depress the clutch regardless of direction.

Likewise I’m thinking of living with it but depends on how much I can find out as to whether I replace and refurbish the box, it’s a keeper so want it right.

Lunchbeers

Cheers, know about the dragging rear callipers i stripped and replaced all the discs and pads plus lubed the sliders so I know it’s not them, it’s definitely gearbox related.

All input very welcome- I find in invaluable to share stuff on here with everyone as it really enables you to make informed decisions on what to do. Most garages including main dealers have no bl88by idea on problems these days all they want to do is fit parts !🙄

Dont think cleaning and lubing stops the brake noise! Panda 100 was the same and it made no difference at all. I have the modded parts on my 2019 car and they do appear to work. I dont know if the 4x4 is the same but, changing the gearbox oil on my two older Pandas was a revelation. The gear change on both was vastly improved for it.

Back