Technical T-Cut or tocuh up

Currently reading:
Technical T-Cut or tocuh up

Elfy

hello again. i have just noticed on my passanger door that some bastard has scraped me in a car park with a blue car. Now as my MK2 is silver its quite noticeable! :mad: :( . Its not much but its annoyed me! should i t cut it and hope ti will come up or do you think i wil need to buy a tocuh up kit?

LanciaMad

Silver is metalic which means you cant t-cut it, have to be touch up mate.

LanciaMad

Solid colour paint is made up of a primer coat then a layer of colour

Metalic paint is made up of a layer of primer, layer of colour then a layer of clear protective laquer. If you try and use tcut it will remove this layer of laquer and screw up the paintwork.

Tcut sell a metalic paint restorer but it just removes grime rather than actually cutting the paint like normal tcut

OP
OP
Elfy

Elfy

for any1 else who ahs this problem i solved it! Go to Wilkinsons get a £2.99 bottle of Top Cut and rub it on. Mark disappears! Awesome :)

LanciaMad

Is it a proper painting cutting agent because if it is you will need to get your top protective laquer cover resprayed on sharpish!

MATT 68

Banned
I spent 2 1/2 days sitting on a chair T-cutting a key scratch out of a brand new metallic black avensis and i achieved my goal without any damage to the surrounding paintwork(y) . Addmittedly, it took a long time but it was worth it, only problem was my thumb and index finger were sore as hell for at least 10 days after.:cry:

ger

Not been able to T-cut metallic is rubbish as you can buy metallic T-cut lol. Worked as a valeter so have alot of experience sorting this sort of damage. I would try normal polish first and see if that gets rid of the mark. If not then I would try metallic T-cut and then a good polish. In my experince 9 out of 10 times when a car rubs another car aslong as its not rubbed to hard then a t-cut and polish will get it back to normal.

OP
OP
Elfy

Elfy

yeah thts wot happened wiv me. the door was not scratched at all it just had the paint from the other car. little bit of t-cut and its back 2 normal now u can't even tell it as there

LanciaMad

ger said:
Not been able to T-cut metallic is rubbish as you can buy metallic T-cut lol. Worked as a valeter so have alot of experience sorting this sort of damage. I would try normal polish first and see if that gets rid of the mark. If not then I would try metallic T-cut and then a good polish. In my experince 9 out of 10 times when a car rubs another car aslong as its not rubbed to hard then a t-cut and polish will get it back to normal.

I worked part time as a painter for a while, like I said before you can buy a metalic T-cut but it is not a cutting agent like the solid colours T-Cut, all it does is cleans the surface. If you use the normal T -Cut then it will remove the clear laquer probably your small scratch as well and all will look lovely. However there is a reason they put a clear laquer layer on and removing it is not recommended.

LanciaMad

Elfy said:
yeah thts wot happened wiv me. the door was not scratched at all it just had the paint from the other car. little bit of t-cut and its back 2 normal now u can't even tell it as there

In which case you should be ok as long as you used the proper metalic paint T-Cut

[timko]

Earlier today I came out of a car park and it had a very tight 90 degree corner which I had to pull out of. The corner has a low bush on it and I accidentally cut the corner a bit and I heard the bush scrape against my rear left passenger door and beyond as I drove off.

Got back home and sure enough, there is now a series of very light but long scratches from that door right up to the back wing (and even on the alloys!) :bang:

My MK2 is "Steel Grey" (that's what it says on the paperwork when I bought it from the dealer) and it's metallic. Will the metallic T-Cut stuff be ok?

MATT 68

Banned
Thats what ive always used timko andNEVER had any problems with Metallic T- CUT. I would imagine the scratches are very light so it shouldnt take much cutting:slayer: . BTW i like your avatar.(y)

Willber

I have used a tin of original formula T-Cut which is at least 20 years old found in my garage to cut the paint of my Rosso Metallic 55sx.

Worked a treat after some t**t scraped 2 doors in Asda car park (n)