T 1999 Brava 1.6 Automatic

Currently reading:
T 1999 Brava 1.6 Automatic

D

David

Folks, just about to purchase a '99 1.6 automatic Brava - only 5650 miles on the clock (ex Motability car), for £4300. This will be my first automatic - anything special I should look out for when giving it a final look over, any known problems I should be aware off?
I take it I should receive a red (burgundy) key along with 2 blue ones as standard, but should I also receive a code card as well? Its being bought from a dealer, so I will appreciate any advice I can get.

Best wishes,
David

Hi,
i had a 97 100sx auto Brava only did between 20 to 23 mpg so i got rid of it only had the thing for 8 months, i exchanged it for a 2000 marea 100sx manual fuel consumption is now between 32 & 35 mph.

exrovermech

Unless you have shares in oil companies steer well clear of an auto 1.6. The engine is totally unsuitable for an auto box (no torque!) and will use petrol quicker than a 4x4 on a school run.

They're not as bad as people would have you believe! I've had my '97 1.6SX auto for over a year and am very happy with it (apart from the usual Fiat problems..). It can be heavy on the jungle juice in town traffic, but on the fast roads I find it fairly economical. The top gear ratio is extremely high, so cruising at 80mph+ is a breeze (had 110 out of it recently...but thats another story). The box is very smooth if you're just plodding along, but if you stick into 'sport' mode it becomes an animal...very very fast (for an auto) and the noise it makes only Fiat and Alfa drivers know and love!!! Well worth a look.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys - I've actually went ahead and purchased the car. I only hope the low mileage is not because the previous owner couldn't afford to keep topping it up with petrol! Chris - you're comments have made me feel a tad better about purchasing the car - thanks again...

Best wishes,
David

On on my second auto

I don't know who these people are with tales of poor fuel consumption. I spend most of my life idle in london traffic and still don't go below 28mpg. On the motorway it's 40mpg because of the lock up feature on the torque converter.
The first (series 1) had better ratios and a seperate oil cooler in the bumper. The second (series 2) hangs on to 1st gear too long when cold so I use the ice setting to force second gear.
The engine is totally matched to the gearbox. It will slur changes (by shorting the ignition) when you are in town but hang on to the throttle and I bet it will beat a manual with that wonderful fiat sound.

Sound as a Ferrari!

My song of ten years old turn very happy when he ask me to turn the trans mode from normal to sport, in my marea sx 2005 16v - 1.6 (manufactured in Brazil, but drived in Venezuela). When we run in highway at 106 mph (remember that sport mode limits to 3rd gear)!! this bullet sound as a little-Ferrari!! I am amazing looking that the console shows me engine rev around 5000 while playing around this velocity in third gear. While we are running at this velocity with sport setup and change to normal switch, I obtain an increase of velocity over 118 mph while engine decrease to 4500 rpm. Really very happy.

it sounds really really over priced to me!!

the 1.6 is a fantastic little engine mine really bombs along

ashtag2.jpg

Im Driven to Earn, and I Earn to Drive......