Styling switch led's

Currently reading:
Styling switch led's

scottc1088

i bought the led kit off ebay for my switches about a month ago and fitted them to the car, after about 20mins 3 of them blew so i contacted the seller and he sent me some more which i didnt fit as i was getting another cinq

now iv got my other car iv fitted them and after a few hours nearly all the ones in the switches have blown again

is there a known reason why they keep blowing? as theres no point keep replacing them if there going to blow again within a few hours

the only resistor i had to use was on the headlight switch and he provided the resistor already soldered to the led

well it sounds to me that there using either poor quality led's or the led's cant handle the 12v.
even with 12v led's i would be tempted to put a resistor in to gaurd against power surges.

i need to get around to doing this.though i'll be modding my own led's to fit.
too tight to pay someone ;)

Led's are only 1.5 to 3 volt, hence you need a resistor on every led.

That's why their poppin, innit?(y)

Steve

Steve-0 said:
Led's are only 1.5 to 3 volt, hence you need a resistor on every led.

That's why their poppin, innit?(y)

Steve
thats why i referred to 12v leds.assumed this is what the seller used.i'll be using standard 3v ish led's on mine. just need to order the correct resistors as all off mine are rated for xbox use on a 5v feed.

also deopending on how you wire them you dont always need one resistor per led

most of mine poped aswell and the ones for the elecy windows eint a gud fit and one of them has poped aswell.

only ones that work good are the ones for the dials but even then the speedo needle dont light up doh!

if anyone finds ones that work fine and dont pop please let me know :)

went to maplins yesterday and they only do 12v leds in red green and yellow how boring!!

i could use smaller voltage ones with a resister but i dont think it would fit on due to the casein of the led behind the switches???

they look nice while there working but sadly it doesnt last long, the ones that stopped working now come on every so often

its not bad connection as theres power to the led even if i touch all the connections
also the one in the headlight switch keeps going on and odd and thats soldered lol

Back