General Suspension

Currently reading:
General Suspension

Im planning on 60mm drop with Cobra suspension. Thing is I love driving down B roads and chucking my cinq about and im worried that lowering/stiffening my car too much will make it useless down country roads. Just wondered what everyones opinion was on their own suspension???? Btw my car will be running on 14s.

How much you lower it depends on what the roads local to you are like, none of mines are flat and there seems to be speed humps popping up everyday.

I think if mines was down that low I wouldn't get anywhere fast and would probably smash something important.

Liam

Don't worry about the 60mm drop, it'll tighten the handling up and make those B roads all the more fun! I wouldn't worry too much about the reduction in ride quality either, the Sporting models were never praised for their ride in the first place. Just keep an eye out for those f*cking humps!

Danii

Thanks guys (y) theres lots of posts on technical stuff but not on actully living with a 60mm drop. Im really not bothered about ride quality, just didnt want to have a car so stiff it bounced down B roads. 60mm it is then! Think I might go for Gmax.

Its a common misconception that the lower n stiffer the better, yes on billard smoth surfaces it is good, but on an average UK A or B road you will make much better and faster progress with a more compliant suspension set up as the car will ride the bumps better meaning the wheels stay in contact with the ground better therefore enabling you to maintain stronger braking and keep your foot down longer and earlier rather than having a twitchy car that feels nervous.

Another thing is when a car is too stiff it sgives less feedback to the driver if you do not know the limits of the car which you can't really explore safely unless on a track, you can overstepping the mark and have the car snap away from you.

THough anything on a Cinq will be better than standard.

Aaron.

J333EVO said:
Its a common misconception that the lower n stiffer the better, yes on billard smoth surfaces it is good, but on an average UK A or B road you will make much better and faster progress with a more compliant suspension set up as the car will ride the bumps better meaning the wheels stay in contact with the ground better therefore enabling you to maintain stronger braking and keep your foot down longer and earlier rather than having a twitchy car that feels nervous.

Another thing is when a car is too stiff it sgives less feedback to the driver if you do not know the limits of the car which you can't really explore safely unless on a track, you can overstepping the mark and have the car snap away from you.

Aaron.

Another quality post, MaxPower and PS2 games seem to brain wash everyone into thinking that low is best when it ain't necessarily.

Liam

J333EVO said:

Aaron.

That's why I was initially worried! Might go for the Koni with the adjustable damping now. Anyone had any Konis?

paulbfd said:
Just be thankful car suspension kits are quite cheap.

The rear shock on my bike cost £550, then another £200 on getting the forks sorted. But what it has given me is the ultimate setup for my body weight, riding style (slow, LOL!) and British roads. Cranked over going over potholes is now only terrifying!

Yeah, my mate's got a Suzuki SV650 and everything costs a fortune. He clipped a car and had just got it fixed then some ***ts stole it! Got it back all scratched up.

Back