General suspension

Currently reading:
General suspension

ian...

I know that there are probably many threads on this already, but here goes....
I have a standard 1997 Cinq Sporting in which I have gained a set of 175/50/13 tyres to put on the standard alloys. My question is that I think that my Sporting sits high already so putting a lower profile tyre on will make it look that it sits even higher. What spring kit do people recommend? I live in an area which loves the roundabout so the springs need to be able to give me a comfotable ride and not be over expensive as I have another car which the wife uses. Thanks in advance. Ian

Thanks for that. Sorry for the repeated question but there are so many different kits on the market, I don`t know which one is the best to go for. What would you recommend?

Cobra 50mm kit, middle of the road between 50mm and 60mm....however now i have 14" I'd fancy trying 60mm....on 13" it'd be too low for me personally....that 10mm makes a big difference.

Saying that, i did bottom out on the bumpy motorway the other night, so maybe 40mm is better :p ... no noticeable damage though, and i have about 20Kg more weight due to the engine.

Kristian

hmm. i be getting some FK springs lowering 50mm this week !!!! I'll update ya when i get them fitted :).

Your standard shocks will not last long with that drop as it is beyond there range, and they will be horribly under damped compared to the springs.

I personally believe that 30-35mm is the best drop in terms of getting the best from the chassis as any more and the car has to be stiffer to ensure it doesn't bottom out, and then it becomes skittish because its a light car, ultimately making the car slower as it doesn't handle as well. You have to have suspension travel to make it work correctly.

I know that there are probably many threads on this already, but here goes....
I have a standard 1997 Cinq Sporting in which I have gained a set of 175/50/13 tyres to put on the standard alloys. My question is that I think that my Sporting sits high already so putting a lower profile tyre on will make it look that it sits even higher.

am i wrong becuase i thought a lower profile tyre than standard would in effect lower the car seing as the sidewall is a smaller height. therefore would help lower the car overall. or are you worried about the arch to wheel gap? if so take into consideration the drop from the lower profile tyre before purchasing a spring kit. becuase i know from experience that going from say a 175/60/14 tyre to a 175/55/14 tyre brings the overall ride height down 8.5mm ish.

use this to figure out the drop from your standard tyres to your new ones and then use the outcome to purchase a suitable lowering kit.
http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp
(y)

am i wrong becuase i thought a lower profile tyre than standard would in effect lower the car seing as the sidewall is a smaller height. therefore would help lower the car overall. or are you worried about the arch to wheel gap? if so take into consideration the drop from the lower profile tyre before purchasing a spring kit. becuase i know from experience that going from say a 175/60/14 tyre to a 175/55/14 tyre brings the overall ride height down 8.5mm ish.

use this to figure out the drop from your standard tyres to your new ones and then use the outcome to purchase a suitable lowering kit.
http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp
(y)

The height is expressed as a percentage of width, so the wider (175) tyres with the lower (50%) profile makes little difference to the overall diameter.

Cheers

D

Back