Technical suspension to swivel hubs bolts

Currently reading:
Technical suspension to swivel hubs bolts

:confused: Seriously? you mean the 2 bolts at base of the suspension strut?

attachment.php

these 2 next to the flexi :)

Ziggy

If the holes are elongated, then yes, otherwise no. Its a while since I have worked on a punto's suspension (2 years IIRC). I think they can be adjusted, but very little, not enough to cause any grief.

If the holes are elongated, then yes, otherwise no. Its a while since I have worked on a punto's suspension (2 years IIRC). I think they can be adjusted, but very little, not enough to cause any grief.

thing is - i dont think they are....

Eitherway - i'll cheat and punch a marker point

failing that have a look at the punto at college
Haynes manual doesn't mention anything just remove them

Ziggy

ARGH!!!!

I've got the driver side done easily - they've been replaced some point in the cars life

Now the Otherside is another question..... Thats been there since new i assume

I've managed to get the nuts off the end, however i cant get the bolts to budge
And as a result they've stripped.....

I've spent ages wacking the bolts with a hammer trying to shock release them, but no such luck....

Ideas idea ideas please

Ziggy

pure speculation, never done it.

Would it help to take the weight from the wheel? Seems to me that there is a moment around these bolts that might be adding to the problems.

Otherwise, usual stuff about
1. Heat, then ice if desperate
2. Freeze spray
3. Penetrating oil
4. Big drill
5. Screw extractore
6. Angle grinder
7. club hammer and punch
8. Pray. Or whisky.

Also, how did you manage to strip the bolts?

The bolts are heavily corroded and there for
No socket fit nicely
And the rust just kept flaking off without putting it under strain

The bottom bolt was abit better but again it just wouldnt budge and it just rounded the corners off a lil

Its a flange Bolt so im tempted to get the dremel out and cut the flange off to make a deeper bolt so to speak and try heating and oiling it up

but i have a bad feeling there rust welded :(

I dont know if college will let me/them weld a new nut ontop so i can try to remove it again

Ziggy

I thought you meant the threads, rather than the heads.

you could try

1. those funky Irwin stuck bolt sockets

Irwin Bolt Grip Remover 5PC Base set 394001: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

2. File down existing head and use a good 6 pt socket

But I'm not sure of the need to turn them - looks like you should (!) be able to mash them straight out now the nut's off.

There a Decent set of 6sided deep sockets - there are great purchase from B+Q lol

there a 15mm hex - so those kits might not fit :(

Ziggy

I bought a set of draper expert 6 pt impact sockets. They are a mile above the previous sockets I owned - the key is the relief on the corners so they grip the nut wall. This helps massively for avoiding round off

I always soak the bolt head in oil, then clean with a wire brush on a drill, file if necessary, then tap the socket on as far as I can. I've found through bitter experience that this makes a huge difference....

Back