Technical Suspension springs on the Mk1

Currently reading:
Technical Suspension springs on the Mk1

Noddy

Bugs Beware!!
I believe that the height of the springs when under load (i.e. on the car on the ground) is marked on the Mk1 punto by a small "blotch" of colour.

If I am right then a green blotch is for the normal springs (s,sx,elx) and a yellow blotch is for the sporting and GT.

Could some of you nice guys/gals help by looking at yours and listing model/colour to see if im correct and then I can get on with buying some for my little project. :D

Thanks
Nathan

I cant afford them otherwise i would have coilovers. Also I want to keep the car fairly standard so a set from a sporting/gt will have to do.

Chances are if the old springs are shot so are the shocks. New springs will show the shocks up even more.

£200 for the full set of basic FKs and you get springs and new shockers.

Allready have new shocks all round, just looking for a set of springs from the sporting/GT to lower it a little but not too much (because of all the speed bumps). Only really doing because im putting the new shocks on.

Allready have new shocks all round, just looking for a set of springs from the sporting/GT to lower it a little but not too much (because of all the speed bumps). Only really doing because im putting the new shocks on.
Hi! Sorry for the up in such an old post but I'm in the same situation as you.

I'm planning to replace the shocks in my 75S, wanting to keep it standard but similar to a 85 Sporting. The intention is to reduce the gap between the wheel and wheel arch, specially in front.

For the front I've seen all manufacturers have a reference for each 75S and 85 Sporting. In addition, the technical document from Monroe specifies differencies in distances. For the rear shocks instead references are the same.

My doubt is if 85 Sporting front shocks are totally compatible and plug&play in my 75 S, and as well the springs.

Did you finally installed them @Noddy?

Attachments

• fi054eu.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
Sporting and GT have stiffer and shorter springs front and back compared to S/SX/ELX, and their front shocks also have different part numbers. I'm not sure about the rear shocks, might be that they are all the same but I don't know.

You can put sporting/GT front shocks and springs on a normal punto with no issues,
I'm pretty confident you can even mix parts as you like (e.g. sporting springs on normal shocks and vice versa) but just to be sure it's best to install a full set.

There was also a difference in thickness of front sway bar, ranging from 17mm to over 20. Those are worth finding too. My 55S had a 17mm bar, my 75ELX has 18.5mm bar. Check turbo diesels as well, they often have a fat one.

Back