Technical Suspension problem - crunch/bang sound

Currently reading:
Technical Suspension problem - crunch/bang sound

DaveX

Hello all, me again.
For the past few days, my Stilo has developed a noise from the rear suspension area on the passenger side. It is a sort of crunch or bang that happens 2 to 3 times in quick succession and only happens just after I start moving from a standstill and am doing about 2mph. It will not do it while on the move, or even if I slow right down before speeding up again - only if I physically stop and then go again. The 'crunch' can be felt slightly through the clutch pedal, while occasionally it is more like a light bang as if a small stone has hit the underside of the car. It happens if I apply the handbrake at a stop or not. It has happen a couple of times as I go over a funny shaped speedbump near home, so I was guessing suspension? Apart from the normal squeeking as always get as I go over speedbumps, I've had no other problems that I know of with the suspension. Car brakes fine, and has only done 19000 miles. Was hoping it may be something to do with the very hot weather, but might just be coincidence.
I don't know much at all about suspension or brakes apart from their purpose, can anyone put my mind at rest and tell me what it might be?

Thanks,
Dave

Sounds more like rear brakes to me from what you're saying.

Does it still happen on a downhill pull away if you leave the footbrake on a little?

When you can feel it through the clutch pedal it might really be coming from the brake pedal only your foot isn't on it so again try a downhill pull away with brakes slightly on

Deckchair5 said:
Sounds more like rear brakes to me from what you're saying.

Does it still happen on a downhill pull away if you leave the footbrake on a little?

When you can feel it through the clutch pedal it might really be coming from the brake pedal only your foot isn't on it so again try a downhill pull away with brakes slightly on

Will do Deck, just got to find a hill!
If it is a problem with the brakes, is it likely to be anything serious? The car has done 19000 miles and I'm not a heavy on the brakes.

Cheers,
Dave

Back