Technical Sunroof seal.

Currently reading:
Technical Sunroof seal.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello again,
I took my glass sunroof out today because one of the drain holes was blocked and I was getting water on the headlining. Anyway, I took it out and found the seal round the edge to be in a terrible condition. Are new ones available? I doubt it now and guess they would be expensive anyway. Failing that is there an alternative seal available?
If no seals available I am thinking of just using silicone to seal the sunroof permanently in place. If I do should I take the old rusted seal off or will that leave too large a gap?
I could always look for a second hand sunroof but would expect them all to be in a similar state by now. If I could find one though what is a reasonable price to pay?

Cheers,
Ian.

Attachments

• Sunroof1.jpg
    Sunroof1.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Sunroof2.jpg
    Sunroof2.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 42
As far as I'm aware you can't get a new seal because it's bonded to the glass, but I could be wrong. You could try siliconing it permanently closed. I managed to find one eventually after mine went the same way as yours and I paid £5 but I had to travel a fair few miles to collect it though.

Thanks for your reply.
I think siliconing it up permanently might be the only answer but now I have the drain holes cleared I'll see how it goes. The water was getting onto the headlining because the sunroof well was filling up with water so maybe it won't do that now.

If the rubber/metal seal is bonded to the glass I guess it will be difficult to get off so if I go the silicone route I'll just leave it on.

Ian.

Try looking on google at "bubble gaskets" and you will be spoilt for choice for something to get your beloved sunroof working and leak free again
Stick it on with 2 pack industrial strength superglue available from most roofing and timber merchants.
You are going to need to join the ends with a very accurate cut glued together or get hold of a short length of some foamy rubber to fit inside the bubble to hoin the ends together.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I'm not completely convinced that Bubble Seal would work on the edge of the glass but a search for it did lead me to other styles such as this one on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Van-Rubber-U-Channel-Edging-Profile-Trim-Seal-15mm-High-x-5mm-Wide-/261265025774?hash=item3cd49beaee:g:BgQAAOSwo0JWL5V4 which may do the job. Big decision though because once the old seal is off I may have buggered up my sunroof if it doesn't work.

Ian.

Actually, now I've looked back at my pics it clearly won't be any good. I'll search again for Bubble gasket.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Any luck? I've the same problem and dying to get rid of the ugly leaky rusty sun roof!

Sorry, I should have got back with a post to explain what happened.
Basically my problem was the well filling up with water and once I had cleared the drain tubes with a bike brake cable the problem stopped. I haven't done any more about finding replacement seals, at least for the time being, but may do once summer has arrived.
Not much help that, sorry.

Ian.

See the trim you see on the outside when the sunroof is shut? I am in need of that if anyone has a link or to anything similar that would do the job.

Back