General sunday jobs on the UT!!

Currently reading:
General sunday jobs on the UT!!

Ha ha whilst writing this ive had to fix the washing machine, Misses cursing in kitchen cos washer wont drain, (outlet pipe blocked) job of the day! she happy me hero!! all set for next weekend, Ant!

Looks like a great bunch of parts!
Good that you got the domestic jobs done first...

My washing machine works (I use it once a month) but I have to remember to turn the taps off, otherwise it may fill up to the brim with water and flood the garage. Obviously the solenoid water inlet valves at fault. However the spin is noisy (bearings stuffed, again), not very fast (belt slips, again), brake doesn't work (doesn't matter, who lifts the lid when it's spinning anyway...) and the ineffective spin means the clothes come out wet. It's been like this for years. I last fixed this machine (total overhaul) ten years ago when it was about ten years old, so I think it's time is probably up ;)

Amazing timing of your post (I think our worlds are on the same wavelength...) because I got a washing machine just last night - for FREE - about 15 years newer than the one I had. The much newer one I've just got supposedly doesn't work also because of the solenoid valves, so I took them apart and cleaned them - I can't see anything wrong with them at all and they are clicking open and closed OK. I think that was a mis-diagnosis... There's very little in the newer washing machine - no gearbox or belt, no brake, no blocks of concrete... just a large direct-drive multi-pole motor and a small pump somewhere that is probably causing the problem (I'm guessing that it fills and doesn't drain, it's hard to get a fault description - the previous owner lost patience very quickly and bought a new machine). The entire electronics board was replaced with a new one last August. I plan to take apart all the mechanical parts and clean them. It's actually quite fun to take apart things like washing machines as an occasional break from FIATs :)

Meanwhile the Warrant Of Fitness has run out on my Uno, so I'm down to only two cars. Picture shows the 'major structural rust' that caused a warning for the last WOF. About four years ago I wirebrushed the rust off and bogged it - obviously the lifespan of that repair has been reached. Hopefully 'jjhepburn' (a hero with a welder) will be able to help me out to fix it properly this week or next week.

Cheers,
-Alex

Attachments

• IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
That car beyond saving, rust is just too far gone, chuck it in a container and send it to me I'll get it recycled for you (y)

Washing machines hey, my washing machine was gradually getting more and more rubbish, struggling to turn over the drum, eventually it just couldn't move it at all so I was forced into attempting a fix. A simple £5 capacitor fixed it, after all those years of it not working properly I fixed in about 30 mins and for next to nothing leaving me wishing I'd looked at it years earlier. The internet is great for simple things like this!

Last edited:
Your such a **** Ant, get all the cheap mods! :yum: u ever get short of cash ill give u good money for those strut braces. Oh ive also got a single headlight grill for mark 2 golfs if u need one or know anyone?

Last edited:
will now have to include the integrale as i have bought my dream car that i never thought i would, will push her out and take some pics, great day yesterday towing her home over the snake pass from sheffield to manchester in glorious sunshine and peoples fingers pointing Whooo!!!! Ant!

will now have to include the integrale as i have bought my dream car that i never thought i would, will push her out and take some pics, great day yesterday towing her home over the snake pass from sheffield to manchester in glorious sunshine and peoples fingers pointing Whooo!!!! Ant!

You've bought an Integrale?!!! :eek:

:worship: :worship: :worship:

pics!! she lovely!! looks like i'l be busy over the summer, Ant!

Attachments

• ants grale 002.jpg
    ants grale 002.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 13
  • ants grale 003.jpg
    ants grale 003.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 13
  • ants grale 004.jpg
    ants grale 004.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 14
  • ants grale 005.jpg
    ants grale 005.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 13
  • ants grale 007.jpg
    ants grale 007.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 15
pics!!

Attachments

• ants grale 027.jpg
    ants grale 027.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 7
  • ants grale 022.jpg
    ants grale 022.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 11
  • ants grale 020.jpg
    ants grale 020.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 10
  • ants grale 014.jpg
    ants grale 014.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 7
  • ants grale 008.jpg
    ants grale 008.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 11
I can't believe I missed Ant's last post in this thread and that nobody else has commented on it. FFS, Ant has just got himself a Delta Integrale!!!! :eek: (y) (y) (y)

What's the story behind it? And are you going to be getting rid of the Golf or the Uno as a result? What's the plan?

Bet the Golf and UT feel a bit tame in comparison!

thanks chas!! its the car i never thought id buy, but a very good friend who also owns a grale found it for me at an old fellers garage, he only went round for a diff and we came back with my car plus spare engine g'box, diffs, turbo's intercoolers, the car was stuffed with almost a spare car! and you wont believe what i paid, as i started to speak to the old feller my mate gave me a hurry up and pay the man look, as he attached the spec frame in record time, and vroooom! away we went giggling like (i aint gonner say it ), she needs a little tlc but im going down the full resto route, (said id never do another but she is special) first is a new roof as mrs metalmoth has munched it and i have a mint one to replace, but she is good in all the usual grale hotspots ie scuttle, rearpanel and bootfloor, strut tops f+r, inner wheelarch's etc, and has no stress fractures, very common, as we did lots of strenthening on my mates and found loads of cracks, so looks like she's had an easy life, with all original panels, i'l be busy for a while tho im sure, Cheers Ant!

Attachments

• ants grale 018.jpg
    ants grale 018.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 7
  • ants grale 003.jpg
    ants grale 003.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 8
Nice One ant!!

at first I thought you'd had sumplug's one, but as no sopiler I thought not.

Looks like a rare find and your the man to get it back on its feet again.. you made such a good job of the MK2 (y)

Will you not be buying that UT which was round the corner from your now :confused: ;) :D.

Hi i'l drive past and see if the ut has moved louie, cant see it its been there a while now tried getting in contact with him a while back but he's hard to get hold of, il post a note through his door,

Attachments

• ants pics n95  oct 046.jpg
    ants pics n95 oct 046.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Back