Technical Sump

Currently reading:
Technical Sump

Dan1991

Yo, just looking over my car to see what types of air filters and oil filters i need so i can give it a good service.

Noticed my sump is rather rusty, is it a good idea to clean the rust of and respray it? If so what kinda spray do i want, some kind of heat proof exhaust paint or will any kind of spray do for it?

Also while im on it, if it does ever get so bad, is it possible to replace the sump alone? without a whole new engine etc

Yes you can change the sump. If it's rotting your best off changing it, a garage should do it for around 70 pounds but you could safe yourself a small fortune and do it yourself. Check some of the guides on the forum.

If its just surface rust then wire brush it then apply some rust converter eg MetalReady or similar and then a couple of coats of direct to metal paint eg hammerite smooth; when the paint has thoroughly gone off wipe some old sump oil all over it; dont change the sump unless you have to; the sumps on old British cars never used to rust because they were always covered in oil from leaky engines.....

i would imagion the 16v sump would fit the 8v engine but dont quote me on that

If its just surface rust then wire brush it then apply some rust converter eg MetalReady or similar and then a couple of coats of direct to metal paint eg hammerite smooth; when the paint has thoroughly gone off wipe some old sump oil all over it; dont change the sump unless you have to; the sumps on old British cars never used to rust because they were always covered in oil from leaky engines.....

Yeah just lifted it up quickly to see how bad it is, and like you said just surface rust really. You think hammerite will protect it from the heat of the engine tho? was pretty warm under the car when i just lifted it up now. You sure maybe some sort of heatproof paint will be better to protect it? But im no expert i could be talking out my arse here.

Also i did find a v8 verson of the sump for £40 on the same site. So i know where to go if it ever does get that bad.

Back