Technical Sump

Currently reading:
Technical Sump

ktd215

Hi,

I think the sump on my Punto needs replacing. There is oil leaking - forming a puddle about 5cm by 15cm.

Is it safe to drive my car?? And does this problem sound like the sump - or could it be something else?

Please reply asap!!

Only way to find out if its the sump thats leaking, is either go under the car and have a look/feel around the sump for traces of oil or take it to a garage, it might not be the sump could be coming from higher up some where and running down the engine and dripping onto the ground, i cant say if its safe to drive cause if its the sump you could loss your engine in seconds.

If it is leaking oil from the sump then it shouldnt need replacing unless its clearly damaged or cracked, it should just need re sealing.
I had the same problem, took me a good few hours to let all the sealent set befor re filling with oil.

I drove around with a hole in my sump for a few days until the replacement part arrived...but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!
Get yourself under the car with a bit of rag and wipe off any oil you can see. You should be able to see where the leak is as it will start leaking again(obviously)...if it IS the sump with a hole in they are usually on ebay for about £70 with sealant....takes suprisingly little time to replace...main waste of time is letting the sealant dry after fitting.

Back