General Sump Plug Removal

Currently reading:
General Sump Plug Removal

On a previous car had same problem, and drilled a hole through sump plug, tapped it and used smaller bolt with a washer. Had no further problems. Probably make the purists cringe a bit.

That thought had also occurred to me. As a solution, if It works, I see no problem. Plus look at it as an improvement on the work Fiat did ;)

....I will probalby get shot down now for saying that :D:rolleyes:

guntoting.gif

I had one round on the gearbox drain (same size key) and tapped in a short length of 12 mm hex steel cut from an old allen key, enough to have about 10 mm sticking out. With a couple of tack welds from the MIG, they are pretty easy to open then with an ordinary spanner/socket, and a bit of heat from the welder probably helps loosen it a bit too...

Finally got some dry weather yesterday (well, when I started) so decided to give all your ideas a go.

I got the Panda up onto ramps (alot easier than I thought) it did take 4 attempts, but I'd rather do it that way than over shoot! Once I could get under the car, It was clear that the inner kex of the plug has been damaged by someone previous attempts to get it of. I did try packing it out, and also heating it up, but I just couldn't get the applied force I needed to get it out.(n)

I then took the sump off and with brute force and ignorance 'removed' the plug. I.e. with a drill, hammer, screw driver (used as a chisel) and a dremmel :slayer:

I have fitted a new plug, which will be much easier to get out in future.
Does anyone know if you are supposed to put any thing on the thread before you fit it, or is it just the tapered interference fit that seals it?

Attached are the a couple of pictures of the working envionment, a sort of a before and after the rain came affair. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• panda ramps.JPG
    panda ramps.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 10
  • panda rain shelta.JPG
    panda rain shelta.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 23
Fair point, although the hand brake was firmly on and the front wheels were between two rungs, so it's not going anywhere.

I will be putting it back together later, although if the weather continues I will have to get a bigger tarpaulin:D

The tapered thread seals it, and also makes it a bugger to removed if overtightened! I generally put a smear of copaslip on to plugs that are prone to galling. At least you got it off without wrecking the sump(y)
Mike

Well after refilling my engine with oil and going for a quick spin around the block, the sump plug was seeping oil. I tried tightening it more, but this didn't help. I am wondering if this has something to do with why I couldn't get the plug out in the first place :confused:

I have had to drain the oil again and refit the plug with a bit of PTFE tape on it. :idea: That seems to have done the trick (y)

Well after refilling my engine with oil and going for a quick spin around the block, the sump plug was seeping oil. I tried tightening it more, but this didn't help. I am wondering if this has something to do with why I couldn't get the plug out in the first place :confused:

I have had to drain the oil again and refit the plug with a bit of PTFE tape on it. :idea: That seems to have done the trick (y)

I hope I haven't given you duff gen mate, I've just realised I was visualising the last oil change I did. which was the gearbox and not the engine oil which I don't remember:(
Mike

I hope I haven't given you duff gen mate, I've just realised I was visualising the last oil change I did. which was the gearbox and not the engine oil which I don't remember:(
Mike

I don't think so. as far as I can tell there isn't a place for any washers etc..

Anyways its sorted now. I'll keep an eye on it though just in case:rolleyes:

Cheers Tom.

Last edited:
Back