General Summer tyres - NANKANG ??

Currently reading:
General Summer tyres - NANKANG ??

Hi,

havent been here for a while,

people which summer tyres would you recommend for a Sei with 13" 5.5 alloys??
there is loads of brands in good price, 155/65 size, which is quite narrow,

I liked to go with 165/55 R13 which will fit and look well, but only NANKANG (n) available in reasonable price, (and cant find any used pirellis..)..

they have been rubbish in wet I remember, is there any improvement over years??
which tyres you recommend??

Thanks

I had a set of tour sport 611s on my last set of wheels, they were ok. Not fantastic. Good on brakes and cornering, but spun up like a bugger when pulling away at a junction. Mine were 175/60/13 but I had 6j rims on her.

I've gone to falken ze912 now on my 14s, they are better than the nankangs.

13" tyres are getting a bit hard to get, hence why I went up to 14". Also can get bigger brakes under them.

yokos sounds great, but Iam looking at price too, and only 14"ish 175/50 are legal for sei in my country (local police is depending on such things).

probably will stick with nankangs(local webdealer is promoting them, and for my amazement have better energy values than pirellis),

btw. Yokohamas out of stock, delivery unknown..

NANKANGS
label.php

PIRELLIS
label.php

Last edited:
I think nankangs used to have a bad name (ditch finders) but tbf from the experience of them I've had there not to bad bearing in mind there mud tyres in a massive 33/12.50/15 on a car that weighs a good 3ton they hold the road pretty well for having that much side wall I know it's totally diffrent from what you asked just thought I'd share my experience with the brand in general

yokos sounds great, but Iam looking at price too, and only 14"ish 175/50 are legal for sei in my country (local police is depending on such things).

probably will stick with nankangs(local webdealer is promoting them, and for my amazement have better energy values than pirellis),

btw. Yokohamas out of stock, delivery unknown..

NANKANGS
label.php

PIRELLIS
label.php
you know there is no standard to them stickers, its up to manufactures to rate their own tyres. also a higher energy rating should mean less friction = less grip. can you get uniroyal rain tyres in cento sizes?

Last edited:
I was talking to the uk sales manager for pirelli at a British super bike round a few years ago, he told me to not take any notice of those tyre standard markings.
They are tested in a laboratory to a specific set test pattern, and bear no real relation to real world testing. When you look at the fact that pirelli has probably the largest investment in research and development of all the tyre manufacturers due to them being control tyres for f1, and bsb to mention but a few. I think that they probably do know a bit about making them.

It's just a shame they don't make the sportier tyre in smaller sizes, just the economy tyres, like the p1 cintoranto.

I will not use any other tyres on my bikes, it's pirelli or nothing. Well maybe metzeler, (who are owned by pirelli).

I have an mt09 match on the back of my cb400, the date stamp says 1386. That's the thirteenth week in 1986, and it still drags the foot pegs around roundabouts. (y)

I would like to add that Nankang 611 Toursports are ****, ok in the dry but borderline dangerous in the wet. Anyone who says otherwise has either never used a better tyre or drives slower than my grandmother. I'm yet to try the newer NS2, though.

For me it's either Maxxis MA-Z1 or Yokohama A539 (175/50 13), both very good tyres. Pirelli's aren't great and are super expensive in that size.

What about kumho? They seem to make tyres for everything. Used to use the the powerstars on the mini, they were a superb tyre. Only £10 each in 145/80/10.

I think they do a sportier version, but they do the kh17 in 175/60/13. Used them on an astra, they were ok. But nothing special.

The boys with the modified minis used to use the yoko a539s, and they swore by them, loads of grip. Maxxis have come a long way since being called Cheng shin too. But I've never tried them.

I've looked at falken as well, they do the sincera. Also a zeix 912 in 205/60/13 :eek:

Up to you really, a lot depends on you're budget and driving style. If they last along time you won't have massive grip, if they grip they won't last as long.

Regarding the Uniroyals, I've just fitted a set of 155/70 x13 rainexperts on sporting alloys to save wasting yoko rubber - I prefer to use the yoko's for auto testing and they are a bit pricey for daily use
The Uniroyals came in for about £130 for 4 and I paid the local garage £40 to fit and balance them
They seem surprisingly grippy for a narrow tyre, and the ride is noticeably softer over the yoko's, which to be honest are quite hard, so for shopping they are ideal
The real reason for buying them though is for production car trialling, as they have good grass and mud grip characteristics
An added "bonus" is the extra 25mm or so ground clearance you get with the Uniroyals over the Yoko's which should help save my radiator from committing suicide on this years trials.

Of course Iam looking for budget, one Yoko tyre cost 2 and a half of Nankang. Iam usualy buying 16inches Barums for company vehicles in that price..!.
Another option available here is Accelera Gamma tyre in good price. Uniroyal, Conti, not available anymore in 165/55 13..

155/70 on a sporting alloy?? If not troubles while stretching them onto disc, it must look, strange??...

Last edited:
I think the sporting alloys were fitted with 155 as standard.

Buy the best tyres you can afford. When you are on the brakes with you're eyes shut, because some idiot has pulled out of a junction in front of you, you don't want to be regretting you're tyre choice.

Nankangs were ok, but if that is all you can get in you're price range, then go for it. If you can push for a bit better, then do that.

Uniroyal do look a bit narrow on a sporting, but I've gone for soft surface grip and ground clearance I've looks
Here's what they look like against a Yokohama

Attachments

• 20150404_111908.jpg
    20150404_111908.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 58
I think the sporting alloys were fitted with 155 as standard.

Nankangs were ok, but if that is all you can get in you're price range, then go for it. If you can push for a bit better, then do that.

afaik default was 165/55 for sporting

i'd like to go for better tyre, but there is Nankang and all that chinese lowcost for 30-35 EUR, and then Pirellis for 70, not mention Yokohamas for some 85... and thats quite too much, as I already wrote, for 60-80 EURos Iam buying 16inches tyres, some medium quality Barums. Pirellis are just overpriced because of rare size.

Another thing to think of, how are insurance companies looking at tyre brand in case of accident??

Guys back again, I have offer for used pirellis 165/55 13, some 7mm tread, made in 2009.. whar do u think bout that?? Isnt it too old? Guy wants 20eur/piece. Isnt new china/india tyre for some 35eur better choice? What do you think? Thanks!

All depends how they have been stored. Tyres should be kept away from sunlight, at a constant temperature.

If they warm and cool everyday in a shed or garage, after 6 years they will be no good. They will look and feel fine, but you may notice a blue sheen on the surface of the rubber. This is caused by outgassing. The tyre literally releases small quanities of gas. Every time the tyre does this it becomes harder.

I am using a tyre on my motorcycle that was made in 1986. It is still ok, because it was stored properly. Yes it is harder, but still good.

Back