Subs!

Currently reading:
Subs!

pk090

Established member
Hi guys!
Get my £250 bursary from uni this weekend and planning to get a nice sub for my boot! Just had a quick look on halfords website as they have an easter sale on.

Looked at the Vibe fli 12"
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_504691_langId_-1_categoryId_165748
and my mate has this 1 aswell and i thort it was pretty impressive.

DOnt particularly want to be building speaker boxes but i can do the wiring no problem.

any ideas?

My mate has that sub in his car, it gives quite mean bass but if youve no speakers to back it up it will sound crap since all you will hear is bass.

well i got standard car speakers with 2 JBL 6x9's running off a 300W Kenwood amp so i reckon they are 150 each. these have deccent sound BUT not alot of bass and crackle at a deccent volume.

Depending on what Kenwood amp it is most of the older ones were around 60w RMS per channel but they were the dogs danglies for volume. The newer all black ones are poo in comparison and equivelent to around 40w RMS.
Either way you have amped speakers so the sub will not drown them out.
The crackle is just a typical quality issue that 6x9's have although some of this could be down to tuning, and being placed on the soft standard parcel shelf

That link is broken but if the amp runs the speakers then no worries it just sounds like the gain is up too high or you have the EQ set wrong on the HU.

MTX are good subs, a far cry from the Fli you posted originally lol. Obviously you would have to build a decent enclosure and amp it with a decent amp. I would also recommend you get some components if you go the MTX rout.
I take it its not the Jackhammer that they are selling :D

well to start the eq is on xploud on the hu :)

its the MTX thunder 8500 i think i would consider it but i dont want o be fathing around making a box enclosure and all that i just want something ready to plug and play lol

Try turning the Xploud crap off and running the settings flat. Do all of the tuning from the amp, this will reduce clip and improve the quality of sound and reduce the chances of fooking your speakers.
If you still want a little more then put mid/bass/treble up accordingly no more than 1 or 2.
Plug and play = (n) I have never heard any plug and play that sounds good.
Im sure that the JBL package will be the best for your requirements.

bad news...went and did some fiddling this morning and 1 of the 6x9's has blown (n)
thanks for the help guys going to go have a look at the MTX dealer down the road see what he can do me if not ll buy the JBL set

Im sure you will be happy with the MTX. The only reason the speakers will blow is due to clip so i would suggest you do some research on the causes of clip.

ok guys purchased a sub and started to wire it in this evening. Did a dry run just putting wires in right places. Got green light on sub (y) but it didnt work, but 6x9's did. when switching the RCA cables round on the head unit the sub worked and the 6x9's didnt.
Head unit is a Sony CDX-GT50UI, JBL 6x9's with kenwood amp and a Vibe sub.
Any ideas.
i had an idea but im not sure if its safe.
Using 2 of these(http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29192#checkstore) i can then do it..i think.

Yeah an RCA Y splitter will do the job. When you say you swapped the RCA's around on the HU what do you mean did you mean you changed them on the amp.

The rear of the radio has 4 RCA outputs. before i baught the sub 2 were used going to the amp for my 6x9's and worked perfectly. When i plugged the subs rca cables into the other RCA ports on the radio the sub didnt work but the 6x9 carried on working. Out of curiosity i decided to swap the 4 rca cables over on the radio side and this made the sub work and not the 6x9's.

Ahh i see, i would check that weather you are geting a voltage through the RCA's. If it shows 12volts on a multi meter then you have trouble. If not a y splitter will do the job until you get a new HU.

Back