Subject you'd wish you'd taken.

Currently reading:
Subject you'd wish you'd taken.

claymore

Scottish Claymore
After a cold debate on a ...cold war. It came to my attention of my days at high school when we were still learning.

I can remember trying to get a good set of grades by doing supposedly easy subjects that while teaching us well didn't teach us enough. I hate to admit that I never took history but it was taught to us during the first few years. I then switched to geography because it was reccomended to be easier. I learned plenty here but it turns out history would have been far more useful in later life. The only time the study of mountains and such was useful at all was when we were there by them identifing the glaciers for the, "thick," people.

I don't suppose you would have tales to tell about what subjects you wished to have taken?

my school was a language college so we was forced to do two languages which were French and German

we started French in year 7 then German in year 8 i loved French and wasn't to bad at it and because of this i was put in top set German which i couldn't do and due to lack of proper teaching didn't get anywhere with it

when it came to year 11 we finally got a proper teacher she expected us to know everything and i really didn't get on with her

i ended up getting a D in French and a G in German and i wish i could of done a different GCSE to German because i know i could of got a decent grade in some of the options that were taken away from me

Only one that sticks out is 'Systems and controls', that was a complete waste of time, ended up dropping out after a year and a bit.

Although, if I didn't do that, I wouldn't have dropped out, I then wouldn't have gone to sixth form, then college and then join the police.

i also wish i didnt do french but was forced to

:yeahthat:

I hated French and was rubbish at it. Years later I taught myself German and found it much easier, therefore in hindsight I wish German was compulsory to learn at my school and not French.

I also wish I'd passed my Maths O Level when I was at school as it would have helped my CV no end. However, twenty years later I achieved a "Maths GCSE Equivalent" pass as part of my College Access course. (y)

On a purely fantasy basis I wish I could've studied Astronomy and Astro-Physics. Astro-Physics is such an amazing subject and the theories literally go beyond space and time. I've read some of Professor Steven Hawkin's books and though I think I was barely able to grasp about 20% of the theories the subject still fascinates me no end. I also tried reading some other astro-physics books and the equations and theories were really complicated and way beyond me. I'd love to one day be able to understand them though!

another language or taking French more seriously back in school.
Really can make a difference in employment.

I wish our school had any languages on offer. We got the usual German in primary school but it was by distance education only in high school. I really would have liked to take French. Of course I could do it now at uni, but I really don't want to be doing assignments for it.

Nah I'm happy with the way things turned out education-wise really. While still at school I wanted to do an extra GCSE they didn't do so did it in a year Cannock college instead, then while at university I decided on a career-change into IT so did a pile of courses in networking and systems admin and web design at Aberdeen College. Never did anything with any of it but still glad I took the chance while it was there :)

I was a bit peeved with computer studies, after getting my O level, computers seemed to go off in a different direction.
Had to learn binary & hex, BASIC, COBOL and FORTRAN, we had to write simple programmes & put them on punchcards & tickertape.
But meanwhile, nobody could lay their hands on a computer at home. It was quite a few years until the Sinclair, Commodore & BBC came out.
OK, so when they did I could write a few games in basic but things quickly moved on & I couldn't keep up - new computers were prohibitively expensive plus I couldn't learn the new stuff as I was busy working.

I was a bit peeved with computer studies, after getting my O level, computers seemed to go off in a different direction.
Had to learn binary & hex, BASIC, COBOL and FORTRAN, we had to write simple programmes & put them on punchcards & tickertape.
But meanwhile, nobody could lay their hands on a computer at home. It was quite a few years until the Sinclair, Commodore & BBC came out.
OK, so when they did I could write a few games in basic but things quickly moved on & I couldn't keep up - new computers were prohibitively expensive plus I couldn't learn the new stuff as I was busy working.

I agree entirely - most of what I learned is now passe but I chose not to use it so not that bothered :shrug: Do you wish it was a route you'd followed?

wish i'd done physics and maths a levels.

didn't know what i wanted to do when i started sixth form. dropped Maths as i really didn't get on with the teacher, and i chose statistics, because that's what my brothers did. whereas Mechanics is slightly more interesting to me (as far as maths goes! but didn't know which one i preferred at the time)

I tried doing them after i finished sixth form, at the local college but i wasn't well by then, and didn't have the determination to deal with the pricks that were the teachers there, and being ill meant i couldn't remember much of GCSE maths.

entered uni doing a foundation degree, but then was too ill to continue despite really wanting it, whereas if i'd done the right subjects in the first place, i might of been able to of at least of made a good start on the course i wanted to do before illness really began to get to me, i might not even of ended ill like i was but that's life, decisions in your past influence what happens now.

Back