sub

Currently reading:
sub

chan

hi all i have installed my sub an amp (finally) but i have one problem, how can i stop my sub box flying around the boot when im driving?:confused:

i got velcro on mines.. it doesn't move at all.. even on bumps. i find it hard to remove the sub even cos its so secure.

^^^^ well i ant wrong then! You need to use a fair amount and make sure its wide!
Use it for 2weeks in a clio until i did the boot build and it did the job

sunny2539 said:
i got velcro on mines.. it doesn't move at all.. even on bumps. i find it hard to remove the sub even cos its so secure.

Tell you what. Put your back seat down and give the sub enclosure a good push with your feet. Chances are it'll move. The force you exert with your feet is nothing compared to the potential forces experienced at 60/70 mph. I got a pic somewhere of a boot install after a relatively low speed accident - it may surprise you. A bit of velcro is not gonna stop a lump of wood and metal from flying. The only way to go is to BOLT IT DOWN.

chaos said:
Tell you what. Put your back seat down and give the sub enclosure a good push with your feet. Chances are it'll move. The force you exert with your feet is nothing compared to the potential forces experienced at 60/70 mph. I got a pic somewhere of a boot install after a relatively low speed accident - it may surprise you. A bit of velcro is not gonna stop a lump of wood and metal from flying. The only way to go is to BOLT IT DOWN.

Ouch.jpg

This happened at a relatively low speed.

build a MDF floor that sits in your boot under your carpet, and make sure it is tight!! I did this by "jamming it between the front of the boot and the rear seats"

Then you can make brackets and screw the sub box down! :)

A car pulled out in front of the guy, so chances are it was at relatively low speed and not at 70 mph.

Even so, you think velcro would have stopped that?

look at the pic again. there are no back seats there! Also he has a lot of MDF which has not been secured properly.
Must be a chav boy racer, lexus lights, big exit exaust, wheel trims

xracer said:
look at the pic again. there are no back seats there! Also he has a lot of MDF which has not been secured properly.
Must be a chav boy racer, lexus lights, big exit exaust, wheel trims

I am perfectly capable of telling there are no back seats in the car, thanks :)
Yes, the MDF was not secured properly. That is the point I'm trying to make! You honestly think that velcro would have made a difference?
It doesn't matter if the guy's a chav or whatever, or if there's back seats fitted or not. It's immaterial in this discussion. The only thing that matters is the state of the ICE after a smash.

i use my centre seatbelt, thread it under the rear seats, around the base of the box and click in to seatbelt fastner.

Regardless of the state of the above install and cars speed, i think the main point is the sub box could prove lethal in an acciedent, as it weighs a fair weight and could easliy buckle the rear seat and head towards passengers, due to the large amount of kinetic energy created in such a short time frame. I agree with chaos, velcro would be as effective as leaving the box unsecured (after all velcro is designed to be seperated, aswell as stuck together). The only really effective methods would be;

a) Make s sub box that wedges in the boot and is pyshically immovable

b) Use bolts to secure box to suitable section of chassis.

Anthony

Back