sub n e good? JBL BTX250 Subwoofer

Currently reading:
sub n e good? JBL BTX250 Subwoofer

chan

hi people i seen this sub in halfords an the guy said it was the best there now im not to sure about subs an that so can any 1 tell me what they think of this 1?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...logId=10151&productId=159011&categoryId=33921

what would i need on the bk of the stereo out puts???

would i also need more speakers to add to the rear of the car?

and would i have to replace the front ones with new better speakers? plz help thanks:slayer:

The guy is trying to make a sale. They're not bad, not bad at all, but the best? No way, especially for the cash.

You don't need rear speakers :) Replacing the fronts would improve the sound, but you don't need to fit them because of the sub! :)

You need to buy a wiring kit for your amp and sub - it'd have everything you'd need, including the RCAs.

Assuming you have a budget of £150, you could get a 10" sub, a suitable amp with wiring and build yourself an enclosure for your sub very easily. Have a look around (and it doesn't have to be Halfords ;))

Have a look around, and match up the RMS wattages of the amp and the sub. It is always better to slightly overpower the sub than to overwork the amp. Just remember to budget for the wiring and installation and you'll be fine (y)

chan said:
ive sent you a message my friend

I'm sure that any solution we can come up with may be beneficial to other members, as we do get a fair few questions about equipment for different music tastes, budget etc, so it may be a good idea to post up a couple of details here :) Also, other members may be able to give you a hand ;)

They used to do 2 versions of these, the one in the link and a 300w twin 12" version a couple of years ago. The one I have is the latter. I can't answer for the one in the link but the one I have is pretty good. It plays everything pretty well but excells(sp?) at dance type music. I've got some JBL 6x9's on the rear shelf and the "atom bomb" in the boot of my Stilo. It's permanently set on the lowest gain setting and even like that it's sometimes overpowering. I really need to get another amp for the 6x9's and get some components in the front doors to bring it more in level.

StiloSport said:
I've got some JBL 6x9's on the rear shelf and the "atom bomb" in the boot of my Stilo. It's permanently set on the lowest gain setting and even like that it's sometimes overpowering. I really need to get another amp for the 6x9's and get some components in the front doors to bring it more in level.

No offence intended here but that setup would be :yuck: IMO
Get the comps upfront amped and leave the 6x9s on the HU's amp or better still, ditch the 6x9s all together :)

chaos said:
No offence intended here but that setup would be :yuck: IMO
Get the comps upfront amped and leave the 6x9s on the HU's amp or better still, ditch the 6x9s all together :)

No offence taken but without hearing it, you can't really comment.:p There's nothing wrong with having 6x9's, amped or otherwise. It's all about getting the balance right. The problems start when people don't have a clue on how to set up their system. Seeing as I have lenghty experience (approx 10yrs) as a sound engineer and dj, I would like to think that I know what I'm doing.;)

ps. After reading my previous post, I didn't make myself clear...:eek: I meant having both the 6x9's and the components amped.

StiloSport said:
No offence taken but without hearing it, you can't really comment.:p There's nothing wrong with having 6x9's, amped or otherwise. It's all about getting the balance right. The problems start when people don't have a clue on how to set up their system. Seeing as I have lenghty experience (approx 10yrs) as a sound engineer and dj, I would like to think that I know what I'm doing.;)

ps. After reading my previous post, I didn't make myself clear...:eek: I meant having both the 6x9's and the components amped.

After all, its your system - you set it up how you want it to sound :) I can only express my opinion, but it also happens to be the opinion of many IASACA competitors and those that are HEAVILY (and I mean heavily - some of the kit they have is worth a lot more than the car that they're installed into) into ICE.

I've given my reasons why I believe 6x9s (and rear speakers in general) to be detrimental from a sound stage POV - some still want rear speakers/6x9s which is fine for them. Not me though, and not for many others :D
There is also the problem with the sub and 6x9s sharing the same air space and causing over extension of the speaker cones, which causes premature wear, which isn't good especially when you have 200+ quids worth of sub needing replacement much earlier than you'd expect (n)

For me, you don't really need any more than 3 speakers (or 5 if you're being really picky :p) - a pair of components (2 or 4 speakers depending on if you see a set of comps as one or two speakers) and a sub (y)

If £150 is your max, I'd look at the 2nd hand market (ie, Ebay).

I reckon you could pick up an old Alpine V12 4 channel amp (don't be put off by the word "old" - the early V12's were very well built with great sound quality for the money).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alpine-V12-Ex...5855339724QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALPINE-V12-4-...5857761016QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alpine-MRV-F3...5857765286QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/alpine-mrv-f4...5857877577QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

See there's loads to choose from!

So that shouldn't take up much from your budget.

Next you'll need a sub and enclosure, I'd go for a something like a JL Audio 10w0 and a prefabricated box if the funds allow. You could save a few £££ by making the box yourself, that all depends on your DIY skills!

Getting a 4 channel amp now means that you can power your front speakers (and disconnect the rears) from the amplifier and then upgrade them when the funds allow.

Hope that helps!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back