sub cutting out nooooooooooooo

Currently reading:
sub cutting out nooooooooooooo

hey

ive got a JBL GT-4 sub in my boot atm. powered off a crappy lil SPLX amp (temporary lend off a mate until i can afford one myself) the system all works fine and sounds awesome even with the rubbish amp.

however, when i put my head unit into ATT, which i thought just turned the volume down, the sub stops working and doesnt come back on when bring it out of ATT. :bang: i then have to turn the headunit off then on again to restart the amp again. i looked at the amp when it happened and the protection circuit has come on and cut out the sub. As far as im aware this has never happened to my mate when he used the amp so do you think its something wrong with my wiring or something the headunit is doing thats surging the amp?

cheers

Hmm............I must say I haven't heard of this before. What SPLX amp have you got? I would try another amp if you can. :)

its just the small SPLX 350 watt one, dont know the model number. im planning to buy the 400 watt JBL when i have money but if its gonna do the same on my new amp i want to try and get it sorted before which i still have access to all my wiring while half way through boot install. was just wondering if anyone else has expereinced this!

mog1571 said:
its just the small SPLX 350 watt one, dont know the model number. im planning to buy the 400 watt JBL when i have money but if its gonna do the same on my new amp i want to try and get it sorted before which i still have access to all my wiring while half way through boot install. was just wondering if anyone else has expereinced this!

400 W max?

You want to be dealing with W RMS (y)

You need 250W RMS for a GT-4.

mog1571 said:
yer i know but im going for the best power to physical size ratio, space limited, thats the best ive seen so far but i am still looking

Max wattages mean nothing. Ask anyone who's into ICE.

mog1571 said:
cheers mate thts a big help. the blaukpunt one looks gud. uve got the same sub as me havent you? wt amp u got? any pics of ur install?

Either you are psychic or you've acquainted yourself with the search button :)

Yeah, I have a GT4-10. It was powered by a 2 channel Sony amp (1x200W RMS) but that is going on to power a set of components and I have a Kenwood amp for the GT-4, a KAC729S I think it is. Puts out 1x300W RMS :) No pics yet, but the enclosure is sealed and is self built :)

paulbfd said:

True it does make a compfy and solid seat. Would give some people a hernia though if they tried to pick it up :D

cool. ive built a box meself and works brill. i think that cos its built for that specific sub it souds better than the universal ones IMO. and ive built a false floor cos my sub kept sliding into the spare wheel well. and boxed in the left hand arch and mounted my amp on it so i still got 2/3rds of my boot usable. just bought some carpet and was given a rool of sound proofing. so tomorrow i got a day off college so will be sound proofing the floor of the boot to stop rattles and carpetting evrything.

still got a problem with my parcel shelf though. becuase of weight of the 6x9's (i know u hate them chaos) it bounces which is becoming a pain. any ideas?

mog1571 said:
cool. ive built a box meself and works brill. i think that cos its built for that specific sub it souds better than the universal ones IMO. and ive built a false floor cos my sub kept sliding into the spare wheel well. and boxed in the left hand arch and mounted my amp on it so i still got 2/3rds of my boot usable. just bought some carpet and was given a rool of sound proofing. so tomorrow i got a day off college so will be sound proofing the floor of the boot to stop rattles and carpetting evrything.

still got a problem with my parcel shelf though. becuase of weight of the 6x9's (i know u hate them chaos) it bounces which is becoming a pain. any ideas?

Are the :)yuck::)) 6x9s in the standard parcel shelf? If they are you need to stiffen the parcel shelf. Adding MDF to the underside would help (y)

well........... when i installed them i slipped with the whole cutter and managed to get the thinner material on the underneath caught in the chuck!:bang: wripped it all off! so now would be a perfect time to strengthen. however im worried bout the lil lil plastic hinges which support the shelf! they seem to strain with just the weight of the 6x9's so dno how it would deal with the extra mdf weight

edit - sorry about the text talk, was typing and on the phone at the same time

Last edited:
mog1571 said:
well........... when i installed them i slipped with the whole cutter and managed to get the thinner material on the underneath caught in the chuck!:bang: wripped it all off! so now would be a perfect time to strengthen. however im worried bout the lil lil plastic hinges which support the shelf! they seem to strain with just the weight of the 6x9's so dno how it would deal with the extra mdf weight

Hmm...........the only thing I can think of is to try it :)

That's another reason to add to the 'why 6x9s are bad' list :)

mog1571 said:
well ill strengthen it and recarpet with what i have left from my boot install. but wont the extra weight make it bounce more?

No. The extra weight would act as a damper, reducing bounce :)

Back