Technical Strutbrace adjustment? opinions please

Currently reading:
Technical Strutbrace adjustment? opinions please

minimad99

Driver Extraordinaire
Hello all,

I'll be fitting a stutbrace next week and have been reading the guide and some old threads.
there is a comment on the guide from morty..........
https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo-guides/47410-how-fit-front-upper-strut-brace.html?p=1047102

where he mentions adjusting the brace outwards to push the suspension turrets out rather than tightening the brace to pull the turrets together.

Can anyone say with any confidence which is correct? i haven't recieved my brace yet so can't check the instructions.

Thanks

Neither. The strutbrace is there to hold the turrets in place.

If you start applying forces to the turrets (ie pulling them in or out) then you will pre-stress them.

If you want to adjust camber get some camber adjustment bolts (rubbish in my experience) or some adjustable top mounts (better though I don;t know if any exist for the Stilo).

just adjust it in till you cant see the brace moving if you adjust it as far as you can the bolts will sheer off as they are only small

Neither. The strutbrace is there to hold the turrets in place.

If you start applying forces to the turrets (ie pulling them in or out) then you will pre-stress them.

If you want to adjust camber get some camber adjustment bolts (rubbish in my experience) or some adjustable top mounts (better though I don;t know if any exist for the Stilo).

Thanks cris,
I'm not interested in camber, Argo threw that into the mix sending the thread slightly off topic:D
it's just the two comments on the guide that got me thinking which was right. I think i'll do as you said, adjust the centre bolt till it takes the strain and then lock the outer two off.

Any advice or opinions from others that have fitted these are more than welcome please.

when i've finished making my lowering plate for the fuel filter, ill take some pics and put together a JTD strutbrace guide.

I have been in touch with the Norwegian OMP importer, and was told to do it like this aswell. They are also the main supplier for Norwegian rally, and are very serious in their business. Attach the strut brace, fix it to the turrets and bend it outwards until it rises slightly. Not any major force, but pulling it together makes no sense for me. It has to be tight.

After installing the Eibach pro system (in addition to the strut brace) I went to have a 4 wheel alignment control. It was done by lasers and a computer thing. The guy told me the car must have been out of tracking all these years, as it now was 100% perfect... without doing anything. So lowering with Eibach pro system, and adding a bit force to the strut brace, makes the car as it should have been from the factory. (y)

Morten.

Last edited:
Strut braces should not be tensioned in either direction. They are there to stop twist, not to ecourage it. They should sit in a neutral position beneath the bonnet and/or the boot without pulling or pushing the suspension turrets. If you pull the turrets in with the brace or push them out, you will alter the camber and thereby affect the handling of the car. Tyres work best when in full contact with the tarmac. Braces are there to stop chassis flex, not to modify the stance of the vehicle.

They are there to stop twist, not to ecourage it. Braces are there to stop chassis flex, not to modify the stance of the vehicle.

I totally agree Lobster, but still willing to discuss this. If my car came straight from the assembly line, I'd install and tighten it so it would sit firmly.

After years of High Fidelity (Lancia) driving I'd suspect the body to flex a bit. On the Ritmo Abarth we can clearly see it on the roof, above the pillar behind the front doors, where it gets bungled by itself. The Lancia Deltas suffered from bent suspension turrets if I remember correctly - if driven hard, as they usually are. The later Integrale EVOs got a strut brace fitted originally to prevent this. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

And just to clarify, after installing my strut brace, I tightened it only a quarter of a full turn (90 degrees) to make it rise. So there is not much sideways power in a parked state right now.

Morten.

Back