Technical Stripped Boot Lid Stud

Currently reading:
Technical Stripped Boot Lid Stud

So, I thought I was ready and have amassed the parts needed to start getting the engine straightened out on our “Sophia” I hit another snag. When I went to remove the nut holding the boot lid (engine cover, trunk, butt bonnet?) and it just started spinning and wouldn’t back off. Turns out the stud is completely stripped of all the threads.

Obviously the easy fix is to just replace the lid (thankfully body panels are laughingly cheap for these cars!), but in a year or two I plan to do a full tear down, rust clean up and respray to the original blue and would rather not drive around with an unpainted panel.

I was thinking of using a small hose clamp in the meantime, but am open to other ideas for what has worked for others that may have had the same issue.

Last edited:
Photo didn’t upload first try...

Attachments

• CCA9636C-5712-47DE-B33F-A1529F530381.jpeg
    CCA9636C-5712-47DE-B33F-A1529F530381.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 39
I'm curious about this too. While not stripped, my threads aren't in the greatest shape and there's no way to get a die on it in-situ.

If you look closely, it appears to be a pressed in stud (on mine), but paintwork obscures the seem. Yours doesn't appear to have that seem. I haven't tried to press it out due to the paintwork and decent-enough threads, so I can't confirm that's how it's installed.

Attachments

• IMG_3894.jpg
    IMG_3894.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 20
I thought about cutting and or drilling out the stud or drilling through the side of the stud and use a cotter pin and washer but I don’t see either of these working out for the best.

It might be a little elaborate, but what about drilling and tapping the side of the original nut, then securing with a grub srew? A corresponding notch in the stud would help secure it, you could even drill through and wire lock it?

A simpler method would be to clean the thread off the pin so that it is just a round pin, then carefully drill it so that a 'R' clip can be used---neat and simple.

A simpler method would be to clean the thread off the pin so that it is just a round pin, then carefully drill it so that a 'R' clip can be used---neat and simple.

Thanks Tom, I thought about that, but using a hand drill on cylindrical hardened steel typically doesn’t work well for me. Maybe I shouldn’t have sold my drill press before moving.

Last edited:
Looking at how the thread has stripped off, I would be surprised if it was hardened steel. Try filing a small 'flat' on the bar, centre-punch where you want to drill (if you have a spring-loaded centre-punch, so much the better) and then carefully drill. Don't feel bad about letting your press-drill go---you wouldn't have been able to hold the engine cover up to the press-drill anyway.

Looking at how the thread has stripped off, I would be surprised if it was hardened steel. Try filing a small 'flat' on the bar, centre-punch where you want to drill (if you have a spring-loaded centre-punch, so much the better) and then carefully drill. Don't feel bad about letting your press-drill go---you wouldn't have been able to hold the engine cover up to the press-drill anyway.

Worked like a charm!

Attachments

• 5D1C4716-CFC4-442F-A675-77C3D51373F3.jpeg
    5D1C4716-CFC4-442F-A675-77C3D51373F3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
Back