Technical Strange ticking noise from location shown.

Currently reading:
Technical Strange ticking noise from location shown.

Shminkypinky

Hi,

My 1.6 16v Dynamic seems to have developed a strange ticking noise. The noise is quite loud and can be heard within the cabin.

The ticking is not in time with the engine so I do not think it is engine related (as in potential trouble)

I have narrowed the cause of the tick to the small gold wheel as pointed out in the picture.

Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to cars but what is this item where this annoying ticking seems to have come from.

As the ticking is not in time with the engine and does not increase/decrease during acceleration should I be worried?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
i have, check the pulley for any stones etc, i know the noise and it drove me potty for a couple of months, i had a very small tar stone wedged in mine, i think i even put it in the cam belt walk thru i done.
like you say its intermittant. mine was the same it seemed to onoy do it when the engine was under load and not constant.
but be aware, that NEXT to it is the water pump, if there is a blade thrown or bearing on the knock you could have easily misheard the location. so keep an eye on the water temp.

something else that can make a ticking noise is a injector lock, giving it a bit of welly usually clears that though. but that noise is usually intime with the engine running.

luckly you have the 1.6 so the waterpump if thats at fault wont cause engine failure (not connected to timing belt) and you can change it pretty cheaply, i payed about £20 for the pump on our old 1.6.
have a look for a stone on the belt and pulley if you can find anything keep an eye on the temp and or water loss.
roy

Hi,

My 1.6 16v Dynamic seems to have developed a strange ticking noise. The noise is quite loud and can be heard within the cabin.

The ticking is not in time with the engine so I do not think it is engine related (as in potential trouble)

I have narrowed the cause of the tick to the small gold wheel as pointed out in the picture.

Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to cars but what is this item where this annoying ticking seems to have come from.

As the ticking is not in time with the engine and does not increase/decrease during acceleration should I be worried?

Thanks in advance.

Funnily enough I am suffering a similar thing, it makes a loud almost electrical sounding ticking sound but only when the car is warmed up and I give it a few extra revs. I have opened up the casing and seemed to of narrowed it down to a funny connection of some sort on a pipe that looks like a breather pipe (Or something in that area, but almost certainly above the alternator). Is it possible this is the same issue as yours and did you ever find a solution to it?

Thanks,

Toby

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Hello

It could be that the alternator pulley is seized and dragging the belt over it. I had a similar problem and my alternator pulley seized amongst other things. You could see if your pulley is fault

Phil

Hello

It could be that the alternator pulley is seized and dragging the belt over it. I had a similar problem and my alternator pulley seized amongst other things. You could see if your pulley is fault

Phil

I will have a look later and see if I can see anything, my engine seems to hunt slightly as well, very occasionally to a point that its about to cut out and then is back to small hunting again. I have also noticed that when I roll off my drive backwards (coasting) and turn the wheel straight again it can sometimes cut then engine out. I wonder if this could be linked...

Toby

yes could be linked, the alternator is proving power, more so than most cars to the electrically assisted steering. Any drain on the system electrically can cause the low revs etc, so yeah, focus on the alternator / pulley, could be its been over tightened and now your alternator is on its way out...

Back