Technical Strange rear end ticking noise ?

Currently reading:
Technical Strange rear end ticking noise ?

bluesplayer

I have this strange ticking sound , how can i describe it :confused: it seems to be coming from the back drivers side wheel , its kind of like as if something has stuck in the tyre and as the wheel rotates it gets faster and becomes a faint squeak .I have checked underneath , tyres etc even replaced all brake shoes and found no problems , could it be a wheel bearing , i must say i cannot detect much interior road noise . what do you guys think it could be

Last edited:
Does it always do it?

IE under braking does it go away?

Stops in a straight line?

I would of said
1.stone/screw in tyre
2.sticking callaper
3.wheel bearing
4.dead rat behind wheel trim

No seriously do you have alloys or wheel trims i ask because my missus has a KA YUCK! and it started making that noise all the time drove me mad! so did the ticking noise so i checked for stones, checked the calliper and then after all that changed the wheel bearing after maving a big row with fords YUCK! coz they wouldn't do it after 20k ha! and drove back to ours from my mates garage thinking no noise great!!!

Put the wheel trim back on and low and behold tick tick tick tap tap tap

She is so bad at parking that the outer edge of the wheel trim made a noise each time it went near the floor!!!

From the outside its a whoosh and from the inside its a tick!!!!!

I was hopping mad!! Needless to say i bought the misses a bumper car to drive now instead.

Thanks guys , yesterday i jacked up the rear end and spun each wheel in turn , the suspect wheel made no noise apart from a very very slight binding "ssssshwim " when i put my foot on the brake and released it , the noise disappeared Please remember these shoes are new . Anyway spinning the wheel there was no noise at all . no movement in the wheel everything looked and sounded as it should . i do appreciate under this test no weight was applied . So i will see how it goes :)

If it goes away when you press the brakes slightly then it is the rear shoes just slightly touching the drums, if is this then its nothing to worry about, mine has done it for 1000's of miles. Although it usually more due to cr*p getting inside the drums when i'm rallying in my case :)

bluesplayer said:
i must say i cannot detect much interior road noise . what do you guys think it could be

Hmmm - are you sure that you are driving an Uno? I have little else other than interior road noise :)

I would suggest checking the top shock absorber mounting (under the plastic cap inside the boot) since they can make various rattling/ticking/squeaking noises. It's normal to have some up-down movement in the mounting while driving, but you shouldn't be able to waggle it with your hands.

-Alex

Thanks guys , couple of things , this noise only comes on after about 2 miles , but i have just been to the Metal Festival at Milton Keynes , i did about 480 Miles in total , used no water no oil achieved 50 plus mpg at 70-80 no wheels fell off so I'm not worried . although i will keep checking .

Back