Strange probem- rear window heater and wiper not working but electrics are ok

Currently reading:
Strange probem- rear window heater and wiper not working but electrics are ok

infocom

hi. I have a strange problem I cannot fix so was hoping someone here may be able to advise...

I have a Fiat Brava W reg. Some time ago the rear windscreen wiper and the heater stopped working. I thought the electrics muct have gone or something for both to be affected.

BUT I just examined the system. Using an electrical testing scredriver, I earthed it to the car body and tested the electrics going to the wiper ADN the heater. The screw driver lit up indicating there is electric going to these.

So then I thought the wiper must have just gone, but cant explain why the heater is not working. If I put the electrical testing screwdirver on the wires that run across the rear window, it lights up.

So does anyone have an idea what could be the problem?

Do you think the fact I added the earthed scredriver makes the electricity run, and that when I remove it its not actually runnung as there is a problem with the earth for the wiper/heater? If so where can I find the earth?

Thanks a lot

P.S. Anyone know a good website to buy parts for the car, its starting to fall apart now so want to work on it and replace the damaged parts (outer driver door handle, inner driver door interior).

i have a doblo and have put two kenwood 12 inch subs in the boot with a thousand watt kenwood amp and my rear screen does not work as the contacts on the rear screen have been blown off, but the rear wiper still works, i also had a cinq yellow with two subs and the same thing happened in this car the rear bulks used to blow as the subs were so close to the rear and the bass was quite loud, but if you enjoy loud bass it is a small sacrifice.(y)

OK found the problem at last! Just about took the car apart to see if there was a break in a cable somewhere but there wasn't, and all fuses were intact... one of the contacts in the boot that connect to the rear door had over heated or something as the plastic housing was all melted. I missed this first time I checked it (which would have saved me hours!). Maybe it was the earth. I managed to clean it up a bit and get the points to connect again and my wiper and heater work now. So now I need to just buy a new housing for the contacts/points.

Last edited:
Back