Strange noise when accelerating

Currently reading:
Strange noise when accelerating

C

Chris

I have a '98 HLX which runs pretty much perfectly. Recently however, I have noticed that when accelerating in 1st and 2nd, there is a strange, rough sounding noise coming from the car. Although it does not appear to be affecting performance, it sounds like I'm tearing the engine apart with every push of my right foot...
Anyone got any ideas what this could be?

Exhaust?

After about a year after I bought it new, my '96 Bravo developed the most appalling noises from the exhaust - it sounded like a tin full of rocks being shaken. I traced it to the rear silencer box, which has a number of steel heatshields in a various places along the tube. One end of the heatshield is welded to the pipe, the other is fastened down by a metal clip, which had rusted through on most of them. I replaced them with jubilee clips (fiddly job!) and then it was nice and quiet again.

Steve

Catylist?

It could be the cat, that was my problem when i had simular symptoms as this. The honey combe gauze stuff had completly corroded

Or...It could be the carbon inside the exhaust which has falled from the sidewall?

Hope this helps? ;)

Where.....

My 96 HLX is doing the exact same thing. Mine sounds as if the noise you describe is coming from under the gearstick/front end area. Both the ideas that the other guys have posted sound like they could fix my problem. Let me know how you get on, its really p***ing me off but not enough to make me crawl under my motor to look. Cheers.

HGT - Weird noise when accelerating.

I've noticed it too. Comming from the front, underside of the engine bay or maybe under the drivers side. It happens when accelerating, not at idling or when clutch is pressed.
It sounds like something needs grease. (high pitch noise).

Any clue?

After hearing all those cambelts tales, i don't want to be the next in list for the "20 valve souvenirs".

Gonzalo
(99 HGT, 40.000 KM (not miles, kilometers)

That bloody noise!!!!!!

It may well be the gear bearings ! I am told this by a head mechanic. I have the same noise from my brava.