General strange noise on my Abarth

Currently reading:
General strange noise on my Abarth

christof21

Afternoon fella's. And ladies!

I've got an 02 plate stilo Abarth. Loving it by the way! lol

Now I know that it is due for a service, and an MOT this month. Keeerching. (n)

Recently it has started to chew through oil like a tanker. Checked for leaks and there are non. It is pulling like hooker on crack to the left with steering wheel wobble when I get over 50 mph. Also I have noticed a noise coming from the genel engine area. I'll try to describe it.

Remember the metal spokes on your bmx as a kid? When you put a bit of card onto them when you were riding it, it would make that sound? That's what I'm getting under acceleration. Like a ticking/knocking sound. Any ideas?

Could be the head gasket, that would explain the oil consumption. The ticking could be a torn cambelt (I hope not), a worn aux drive belt tensioner or an exhaust manifold gasket. As for the wobble and the pull to the left, that could be a track rod end or a buckled wheel.

Have you kerbed it lately?

Of course it could be none of the above, but these are some places to start looking.

wheel wobble could either be your tracking or a buckled wheel.

i drove an ex area managers focus at work, which had a buckled wheel and above even 5 mph that had serious wheel wobble :rolleyes:

i had new tires fitted to my car, and bove say 30mph i got a slight little bit of wobble in the steering, so i booked it into the garage to get my tracking checked. best £30 i ever spent to have it put right :D

now she drives as sweet as anything(y)

I can't remember walloping it on any kerbs. I'm pretty careful when it comes to that.

I'm wondering whether it is a head gasket situation, because I only started to notice it once my engine oil pressure warning had gone off once. I've had to fill her up with oil twice already. It does only make the noise under acceleration. As soon as I lift off it stops. Although there is a slight knocking or ticking when it's idleing.

I think the service is needed badly. I've had it since about march/april 07. I've not had it serviced yet. must have done a good 10-12k miles since then.

Hi mate,

Are you getting clouds of smoke out of your exhaust? That amount of oil must be going somewhere and you would notice it if you have to fill it up twice a day.

Alan

I'm not getting any smoke from the back at all. I'm filling it up with oil every 3-4 months I'd say. Defo not twice a day. I'd be really worried if it was twice a day! lol

I think it just needs a good service to be honest

have a look around the oil cap, if there's like a scum residue there then it's a tell-tale sign of a head gasket going, as coolant goes into the oil supply.

last time I topped up a couple of months ago it all seemed fairly normal. No scum round the oil cap at all.

Like I said, hopefully, fingers crossed, it's just a good service thats needed.

Hi mate,

Sorry just realised my mistake! I miss read your post and though you said you were topping it up twice a day!! lol. The amount of oil loss you are having sounds about right for the 2.4!

Wheel wobble/pulling could just be a wheel need balencing and adjustment to the tracking.

Alan

Alan

cheers a1ant. I think I'm gonna get the balancing and tracking sorted out asap, cause it's starting to get annoying now.

The MOT is due in a few week, so I'll have a word with the mechanic and see if he can trace the ticking/knocking noise for me.

It's been nicknamed the shell tanker now, due to the amount of petrol it's going through as well! lol

mine had been going through oil rapidly since purchase - was serviced this week, transpires the oil filter was on cross-threaded.......

as for fuel consumption, c'est la vie - just listen to the roar at fuel whack!

Back