Strange mist on car windows in E-Yorkshire

Currently reading:
Strange mist on car windows in E-Yorkshire

Not really a fiat based problem or one of car care in the strictest form,

For a few weeks now when getting in the car in the morning there has been a "Strange" mist on the outside of the windscreen that wont clear. It initally clears when the dew is swept off by the wipers, but once that has gone the screen goes cloudy, Once the heater has warmed up the glass it fades away. At first I was blaiming Rain-X as i assumed that was what was smearing then I was taking to a chap at work and his car was the same he lives out towards Hull, Then like lemmings jumping off a cliff most of the chaps at work have it on their cars too,

Mentioned it to my old man tonight and his work van is the same, which is kept in Howden Have tried in the past few weeks to remove the rain-x with glass cutter and it still happened, Followed by AG Glass cleaner and I hate to say it good old washing up liquid (i know im going to go to hell for that) and cleaned the wiper blades too with Glass cleaner.

As a last ditch effort i used IPA contact cleaner on a cloth so i'll see tomorrow if that works as that fetched off loads of ****@.

Anyone know what it could be??

Not really a fiat based problem or one of car care in the strictest form,

For a few weeks now when getting in the car in the morning there has been a "Strange" mist on the outside of the windscreen that wont clear. It initally clears when the dew is swept off by the wipers, but once that has gone the screen goes cloudy, Once the heater has warmed up the glass it fades away. At first I was blaiming Rain-X as i assumed that was what was smearing then I was taking to a chap at work and his car was the same he lives out towards Hull, Then like lemmings jumping off a cliff most of the chaps at work have it on their cars too,

Mentioned it to my old man tonight and his work van is the same, which is kept in Howden Have tried in the past few weeks to remove the rain-x with glass cutter and it still happened, Followed by AG Glass cleaner and I hate to say it good old washing up liquid (i know im going to go to hell for that) and cleaned the wiper blades too with Glass cleaner.

As a last ditch effort i used IPA contact cleaner on a cloth so i'll see tomorrow if that works as that fetched off loads of ****@.

Anyone know what it could be??

I dont know what it could be, but you live just up the road from me :D.

Are you coming to the meet at xscape on 2nd december :confused:

Hope you get your strange circumstance sorted

but condensation wipes off with a clean cloth or the wipers remove it then re hazes this doesnt wipe off never had it before, also screen wash doesnt move it, and ive been driving a good few years. :D

Dont know what im Doing next week josh never mind in a months time if i can make it i might show my face :)

Last edited:
It's condensation caused by the cold temperature of the glass, basically the same principle behind the bathroom mirror steaming up. It's caused by the temperature of the glass causing the cold air of the outside to condensate on the surface. Once your heater starts to warm up the cabin then the glass itself also warms up to the point where the air no longer turns into condensation.

It happens every year and as Dave says it's caused by Autumn and Winter ;)

oh well never suffered with it in the past and for a couple of old articulated lorry drivers to notice something strange im at a loss :confused: i'd assume they'd know the difference between condensation and this, You wipe a mirror in the bathroom and is slowly steams up again this doesnt move or fade its as if the wipers are floating over the top which lead me to think there is something like industrial fall out settling on the car...

No doubt someone will write in to the local paper about it...

I think it might have something to do with the amount of aircraft we now have due to Donny airport or Drax power station burning something other than coal..

BTW Josh whats going on on the M62 have snaith fire brigade just gone out? just been out to Glews for some fuel and every emergancy vehical in Goole is heading up to Langham again and plenty of cop cars coming from hull direction over the ouse bridge:cry:

Last edited:
oh well never suffered with it in the past and for a couple of old articulated lorry drivers to notice something strange im at a loss :confused: i'd assume they'd know the difference between condensation and this, You wipe a mirror in the bathroom and is slowly steams up again this doesnt move or fade its as if the wipers are floating over the top which lead me to think there is something like industrial fall out settling on the car...

No doubt someone will write in to the local paper about it...

I think it might have something to do with the amount of aircraft we now have due to Donny airport or Drax power station burning something other than coal..

BTW Josh whats going on on the M62 have snaith fire brigade just gone out? just been out to Glews for some fuel and every emergancy vehical in Goole is heading up to Langham again and plenty of cop cars coming from hull direction over the ouse bridge:cry:

Dont know. Has there maybe been a fire or another accident somewhere :confused:

Seems to be a lot of accidents around here lately

I hate people that follow you so closely. Have you ever been down the new(ish) bypass at selby.

Was going down there today, and there was a lorry coming towards me (a few 100 metres in the distance). Mr white van man decides he wants to overtake it, and when they do that i always move over to there side a little bit just to scare them. Think i went a bit to far though (there was only a few inches between us at a closing speed of 120ish mph :eek:).

Yep they treat that and the Drax road as a race track, Saying that i went to overtake a car that was doing 45 on the road betweeen Selby and Cammy and as i begun to overtake they put their foot down to about 70 and left me in my 1200 GP for dead :bang: then slowed back down again they went towards drax and i came home through carlton and left him to harass someone else..

Yep they treat that and the Drax road as a race track, Saying that i went to overtake a car that was doing 45 on the road betweeen Selby and Cammy and as i begun to overtake they put their foot down to about 70 and left me in my 1200 GP for dead :bang: then slowed back down again they went towards drax and i came home through carlton and left him to harass someone else..

yeah, i go down that road everyday from work. Not so bad in my Stilo, it can pass quite a few cars with ease ;). Normally at this time i would be going to the gym and bombing down there, but i cant be bothered today to be honest. Where abouts do your work/go to college

I work at Evans Timber between Eastrington and Gilberdyke. making scaffold boards.... its a job :)

had a weeks holiday last week so had a bit of a tour round up to dalby forrest (to go mountain biking) last monday and a trip to that wretched Mcarthur glen midweek and back via selby as mummy wanted a curtain rail from homebase.... and a ride out to Hull on friday

I work at Evans Timber between Eastrington and Gilberdyke. making scaffold boards.... its a job :)

had a weeks holiday last week so had a bit of a tour round up to dalby forrest (to go mountain biking) last monday and a trip to that wretched Mcarthur glen midweek and back via selby as mummy wanted a curtain rail from homebase.... and a ride out to Hull on friday

I had a few days off last week as well (y). Was well good, i didnt really get up to much sadly. Went to a cruise at teeside on wednesday night, was quite a fun experience :D.

I will give you a shout sometime when there is another event going on near us.

It was another crash at the m18/m62 interchange (n)

M62; East Yorkshire
eastbound between M18, East Yorkshire [M62 junction 35] and A614, East Yorkshire [M62 junction 36] restriction affecting driving lane 1
M62 East Yorkshire - Accident cleared eastbound between J35, Langham and J36, Rawcliffe.

Last updated: 31st October 2007 at 21:01

Josh if your off to watch the fireworks at westpark on Saturday PM me if you want somewhere to park within spitting distance (y)

It was another crash at the m18/m62 interchange (n)

M62; East Yorkshire
eastbound between M18, East Yorkshire [M62 junction 35] and A614, East Yorkshire [M62 junction 36] restriction affecting driving lane 1
M62 East Yorkshire - Accident cleared eastbound between J35, Langham and J36, Rawcliffe.

Last updated: 31st October 2007 at 21:01

Josh if your off to watch the fireworks at westpark on Saturday PM me if you want somewhere to park within spitting distance (y)

Dont think i will be going to see any fireworks to be honest - im not going out with my folks and my sisters again lol :D, bit boring. and all my mates are at uni, guess its just me and tinterweb

that accident sounds bad

Back