Technical Strange 2nd Gear behaviour

Currently reading:
Technical Strange 2nd Gear behaviour

DelG 1.2

Hi all,
Ok so here is the thing the second gear in my GP 1.2 seems very strange.
this is what happens.
I can slow down to almost 3MPH (I'm guessing here) but no more than 5 in second Gear, I push the clutch and the break, but if I don't come to a complete stop I can release both the break & the clutch and the car does not stall not even judder, but it actually gathers speed (Even up Hills) to about 10 MPH and then just stays constant!!! and rolls along.
Its like its an Auto but its not.
Friends have said its because the second Gear is set to high, but are not sure. Some think it may be some kind of town feature so your not on and off the clutch all the time or in and out of 1st & 2nd gear.
I have tried other manual cars, and they either stall right away or lose speed & stall, oppisite to what mine does.

If its normal then I like it, but there is nothing said about it in the manual, or am I missing something. I am a new driver and all, but even in my Learner car Ford Focus 1.8 Diesel is would stall if I did that.

So is this normal, or do I have an issue.

Thanks

Jason.

so the car doesnt stall.you release the clutch and the cars trundles along?
cars with ECU's will try and prevent a stall.
it doesnt judder because the ECU is coping well ;)
the cars idle will move the car along.
other gp drivers will confirm but i doubt its a problem.
of course its not the sort of tests i put my cars through

so the car doesnt stall.you release the clutch and the cars trundles along?
cars with ECU's will try and prevent a stall.
it doesnt judder because the ECU is coping well ;)
the cars idle will move the car along.
other gp drivers will confirm but i doubt its a problem.
of course its not the sort of tests i put my cars through

Hi, I wasnt testing the car or anything, but Central London traffic is not nice. I first noticed it when slowing down behind a turning car I slowed right down in second and whn i lifted off thinking oh s**t im going to stall.. Ever since then ive noticed it and asked about it, but most people are bemused by it and say its not right that Its gathers speed.

Jason

well if you lifted the clutch in my old corsa without touching the accelerator it would pick up speed, you had to lift the clutch slowly though! if you just pull off the clutch as you would if you were accelerating i bet you would stall, if not you are very slow off the cluct of your car is magic!

hi don't worry this happens with my car too, and even my old saxo 1.1 i find when i'm in slow moving traffic, i can slowly lift the clutch completely up, and the car still rolls along at a steady speed.

I have tried other manual cars, and they either stall right away or lose speed & stall, oppisite to what mine does.
All the cars I've ever had would trundle along on zero accellerator and the clutch up, in FIRST gear.

Not so sure about SECOND gear; what are your tickover revs like? If they are 'normal' (eg around 800rpm) then what you are describing is a bit odd (insasmuch that you get faster!) but a diesel has good torque even at tickover so I can sort of understand it (I will have to try it out in my car tomorrow). A petrol engine doing this though? :confused:

Do have a feature called Hill Start Assist (available on the Corsa for sure) without realising it? :eek:

This is totally normal, fuel injected cars with idle control will accelerate the engine to smooth out load, its exactly the same as switching all the lights and AC on at idle, the engine revs remain the same inspite of the extra load suddenly put on the engine.:D

This is totally normal, fuel injected cars with idle control will accelerate the engine to smooth out load, its exactly the same as switching all the lights and AC on at idle, the engine revs remain the same inspite of the extra load suddenly put on the engine.:D
Actually the revs dip slightly for a moment when i put my AC on. The ECU takes a moment to adjust and then it returns to normal, know what you mean though!

Back