General Straight Through Exaust

Currently reading:
General Straight Through Exaust

icedup51

As rear exhaust box on 500 Abarth is starting to show signs of age, rust to outer skin, thinking of changing out to stainless steel.

Has anyone fitted an after cat straight through exhaust? How noisy is it, is there any issue in MOT and emissions?

Be good to hear what others have done, don't really want to put same back, as seems rusting outer skin on the back box is an issue

As rear exhaust box on 500 Abarth is starting to show signs of age, rust to outer skin, thinking of changing out to stainless steel.

Has anyone fitted an after cat straight through exhaust? How noisy is it, is there any issue in MOT and emissions?

Be good to hear what others have done, don't really want to put same back, as seems rusting outer skin on the back box is an issue

The standard 500 has a multilayer back box.. the layers rust..and peel.. with another layer underneath

They tend to last @8 years

What is yours like?

Emissions.. nothing to do with bsckbox.. but NOISE.. well..

Thanks for replies. Seems not a good idea then, so can you just remove the rusted skin and its still deemed OK?

It's acceptable for mot if the outer is removed or if you just leave it.Any defect has to esult in a major leak of gases' to fail.Re: noise, it depends on the tester as it's entirely subjective (for now) cheers!

The condition of the silencer in itself will not cause it to fail an MOT unless there is undue noise or there is a significant leak of gas other than from the tail pipe.

If it's corroded and peeling but is not leaking and the baffles haven't collapsed to cause a racket, then it will appear as an advisory... something like "..silencer deteriorated but not causing any leak of gas..."

I once replaced the cat' back on my old Alfa 145 with a stainless system. I decided it would be a good idea to delete the middle silencer but keep a regular silencer (all in stainless steel) at the blunt end. That was fairly loud I have to say (middle silencer actually does the main bit of noise suppression) and made me a bit self-conscious, although it never got noted at MOT time as being too loud.

Get yourself a stainless system made up, keeping any mid-section silencers your Abarth might have but use a smaller (aka "sport") rear silencer to get you just a bit more fruity. But you need to have a physical silencer for the MOT, as far as I'm aware.. it might fall foul of the new reg's about modifications that deleted (usually DPF in diesels) components otherwise.

Don't peel off any loose skin on your silencer. I think it would look more decreprit than just leaving it as it is, although trimming off any very scabby bits might be a good idea, if it prevents the MOT tester cutting his head on it.. MOT testers are moody enough already, without your car inflicting ABH on them... :D

And it will appear that you checked the silencer/saw it had no leaks, so he'll know you're on the maintenance... and he won't tell you it's leaking if it isn't.. since he'll know you'll know different.

Ralf S.

I've a standard silencer I took off mine, was only on a month.
I've not checked it, but I presume it's still in good nic.

Another option would be a Record Monza in stainless steel (not the cheaper black painted steel one).They sound awesome.

There's a few on ebay around the £250 mark.
Mark sure the valve is free, they are prone to sticking.

I have a 500 Abarth with straight thru stainless 2.5inch main pipe and silencer free Magneti Marelli rear stainless twin outlet rear pipes. Passed Mot fine this and earlier years. It's not crazy loud either ...nice burble at tick over. Nice an fruity when you wring it's neck too!!! There's a cool deal on eBay at mo which is what I have. Well made, fits easily....and dirt cheap at £129 delivered. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401791092397

Last edited:
I have a straight through to original back box, it doesn’t sound to loud,. Pops, grunts and whistles when driven in a certain way.

The FIAT 500 Abarth comes with a straight pipe standard, so your replacing your straight pipe with a straight pipe?

DEF7825B-0833-42C2-B33D-4F945F07FF19.jpeg

Fitted this scorpion to ours.
SFT005CFiat 500/595 Abarth 1.4t-jet 08-18, Cat Back None Resonated System 100mm Daytona Black Ceramic
sounds awesome and passes MOT no issue at all. I do have a stock new ( drove 6 miles! ) Abarth rear box in the garage going begging.

Back