Technical Strada 130tc non start

Currently reading:
Technical Strada 130tc non start

lee89

Ive been working on said car the last few evenings after it wouldnt start. The fuel pump is running, and reaching the carbs, we have a good spark but wont fire. If given a blast of easy start (i dont usually like the stuff) it will run for a few seconds then die.

Im thinking that the floats are stuck so it isnt getting fuel into the carbs maybe as you can crank it over and pump the throttle like a maniac but cant smell fuel.

Ive been working on said car the last few evenings after it wouldnt start. The fuel pump is running, and reaching the carbs, we have a good spark but wont fire. If given a blast of easy start (i dont usually like the stuff) it will run for a few seconds then die.

Im thinking that the floats are stuck so it isnt getting fuel into the carbs maybe as you can crank it over and pump the throttle like a maniac but cant smell fuel.

certainly sounds like a fuel supply issue.. no solenoid involved..??,

Charlie

Assuming you have a good delivery of fuel at pressure? (which you say you have)...

Is this old unleaded and stale or contaminated fuel? Often a cause.

As you have two separate carbs it is probably unlikely that both floats have stuck closed, but this is a possibility.

The other possibility is that the accelerator pump diaphragms have both split.

I would also check that the cam belt timing and the distributor phasing and lead positions are correct. Thankfully this is dead easy to do on a 130TC.

Last but not least engine compression.

Personally I would leave stripping the carbs down (especially Solexes) as a last resort as obtaining new gaskets might prove a little challenging.

Nick

certainly sounds like a fuel supply issue.. no solenoid involved..??,

Charlie

The 130TC does have a solenoid/relay powering the fuel pump. The relay is energised via an oil pressure switch so the crank has to be turned over a few times to build up oil pressure before the pump cuts in.

Our poster says he can hear the pump and is getting fuel? / fluid? at the carbs.

Leads are in the right order, plenty of fuel is getting through, ive checked the timing and its spot on. Also there is plenty of compression and it will fire and continue to run if i use easy start (which i dont like using)

It has sat idle for the past 2 years or so and hasnt been started for well over a year as it ran out of fuel.

It has a clear fuel pipe running between the carbs so i can see the fuel in there getting to the carbs and if i disconnect the fuel line and put it onto a jar there is plenty of fuel pressure but doesnt matter how much i pump the throttle or crank the engine i cannot smell fuel.
Im going to take the carbs off and just check the floats are not stuck and give them a clean up with some carb cleaner and clean the jets out etc and go from there.

if it'll "run" on a spray..then the timing must be close..,
hence the agreeing with you over the fuel supply.
s130 has far more experience with these motors than me,
I just knew there was a solenoid "in the mix.."
good to hear that can be ruled out,

TBH if it's run out of fuel for while, the carb innards may well be a bit "furry"

have you got access to an ultrasonic bath..??

Charlie

Regarding my comment/suggestion about "phasing"

The Digiplex ECU will trigger a spark in relation to the TDC sensor, rpm and vacuum.

HOWEVER!. The distributor which is driven off the inlet cam shaft is purely a "directional/angular" switch which if out of alignment will result in sparks being lost or erratically delivered.

Having said this and le89's updates then I guess we are coming back to fuel quality and/or carb issues.

As the car has sat idle for 2 years and no doubt with unleaded fuel, fires on easy start, then I'm thinking stale fuel.

My advice would be to:

1) disconnect the fuel line before/after the filter and feed into a large container
2) bypass the fuel pump relay
3) pump the tank dry into the large container
4) refill tank with 1+ gallons of fresh fuel
5) try again

If the car still fails to start then nothing will have been lost other than time

Nick

Thanks for the replies guys.

We managed to get it running last night!
It seemed to be an air lock in the carbs we think. I wasnt there for this bit but the guy who owns the car took the tops off the carbs and they were dry so he filled them with fuel, then put the tops back on and tried starting as usual and after a few turns it burst into life once again, a little lumpy but non the less we have a runner once again :D

Needs the brakes cleaning up and a bit of a tune up but were booked in for an MOT on the 6th Sept so hopefully will pass as its only done 13 miles since the last MOT in 2011

Ref the distributor phasing. If im thinking along the right lines this should be set up with a timing light? and if so to how many degrees at what rpm.

Thanks for you help so far! Much appreciated.

Ref the distributor phasing. If im thinking along the right lines this should be set up with a timing light? and if so to how many degrees at what rpm.

Thanks for you help so far! Much appreciated.

No you can't set the phasing up with a timing light. Timing is strictly determined by the Digiplex Ignition unit using the TDC sensor.

The distributor is purely a rotating switch. The adjust of the distributor body does nothing other than ensure that the rotor arm is aligned with the individual plug contacts.

If the car is now running and not miss firing then suggest you leave it well alone.

Nick

Back